Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Automatically making finish pass contours on solids

SnahOlah

Wow, Poor guy didn't even mention NX. I can only imagine what the replies would have been. One of the strong points of MC is the large and knowledgeable user base willing to help out. If the new interface doesn't drive people away it will be you guys. 

13 minutes ago, sweeper said:

Wow, Poor guy didn't even mention NX. I can only imagine what the replies would have been. One of the strong points of MC is the large and knowledgeable user base willing to help out. If the new interface doesn't drive people away it will be you guys. 

Maybe, but I am an internet troll expert and his post could be considered near the line of trolling.

( Surface rough pocket set to facing with rough turned off is almost perfect, but also almost unusable, as it has no means of controlling the depth so you better pick a tool that reaches the entire distance. Or you can make a planar surface to block it at a certain depth in which case it will finish that surface as well (no checked surfaces), and the subsequent tool with more reach cannot be made to start further down. ) Sir you really need to do your homework just on this path and the controls. The control for depths is there and I have not created for this path over 15 + years a surface to limit it unless it was a 3+2 programming. Also there is control after the first tool being stuby and now I want to copy the operation and tell a long tool to go deeper and start past were I just ended.

Have you looked at Depths in the Surface Rough pocket?

If you could post a file or even a screenshot of your geometry it would be a lot easier to offer help. In my mind this sounds like a simple 2D contour. Since you are asking that to be simplified tells me your situation is actually different than how I am reading it.

FWIW... I was shocked many of you guys seemed to have such a condescending tone towards such a simple question.

Some of us LIVE in the realm of single digit microns and more often than not, topology drives strategy. I've saved up a number of Operations Libraries over the years which automate most aspects of the strategy but geometry still needs to be picked.  Not ideal but it's a time saver. 

The real killer IMHO is how solid selection works (or doesn't as the case often is) in Mastercam. CATIA's contour selection is infinitely better in that you select walls and a depth instead of chasing some edge that is never exactly what you need. Solve THAT and you will help a bunch of us that are not particularly fond of creating so much geometry to get good toolpath.

I do eagerly look forward to the "easy button" day because then I won't be tied down to the minutiae of that side of the business and I can focus more of my energy in other areas. But until that day comes I've got to toughen up and embrace the suck just like the rest of you CAD/CAM degenerates. :P