Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping Paradox

Müřlıń®

Hey Guys I have an issue I am trying to solve with Tapping.

The Machine:  Okuma MB 8000 H.

Units are dictated by the print so the QC people do not have to convert when writing

CMM programs, inspecting parts, ect.

The Problem: There are both metric and imperial taps on the parts.  

So when I have to use Metric units for a file format, I have to convert the pitch and dia on a metric tap from inches.

But on the canned cycles in the control of the machine, it appears to have all the pitch's stored and faults out when the post outputs

the metric equivalent to the imperial tap.

So I have to manually edit the NC file back to an imperial pitch.

Funny how I don't have to do this when I am in INCH units.

Any way to write logic for the post to convert the metric value back to inches?

It would be pretty easy since the imperial tap would have several more decimal places in the pitch feild vs a metric tap.

Or is there a setting on the control to change??

Assuming you are programming in inch, I would output everything in Imperial and set the machine......

Though I am not sure why it matters? Do you HAVE to tap in G21?

I'm thinking that Okuma has the taps defined in the tool library with the pitch

If the pitch in the library doesn't match the pitch in the file, the machine won't run the cycle

If that is the case, you need to define the Imperial taps in metric units in the machine's tool  library 

20 minutes ago, JParis said:

Assuming you are programming in inch, I would output everything in Imperial and set the machine......

Though I am not sure why it matters? Do you HAVE to tap in G21?

Inches works just fine it is when I am programming in metric units that is the problem

17 minutes ago, gcode said:

I'm thinking that Okuma has the taps defined in the tool library with the pitch

If the pitch in the library doesn't match the pitch in the file, the machine won't run the cycle

If that is the case, you need to define the Imperial taps in metric units in the machine's tool  library 

I thought it must be something like that...

The machines are already set up when I get there with all the tools loaded and defined.

Since I will be having to program both in G20 and G21 on these machines , it is unlikely that they will change anything on the machine setup.

so either I can get some post logic written or just manually change the Imperil tap pitch in the NC file when In Metric units :(

Seems like you could read that pitch variable and if it had 4 or more decimal places, capture that variable, convert to inches and stick it back in the field...

I am not a post guy but it seems logical that some post logic could be written to do this.

1 minute ago, jeff said:

Another reason why I never define tools on my mills. On all 3 Genos mills I instantly removed that crap and let Mastercam handle it.

Yes I think the issue is they are being defined on the machine even though someone is telling you they have not defined that taps on the machine. :whistle:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Yes I think the issue is they are being defined on the machine even though someone is telling you they have not defined that taps on the machine. :whistle:

In theory the way Okuma does this is nice...but for us being a job shop and using a trillion different tools in no less than 5 setups a day on average it just isn't logical for us to use it.  And I'm not going to spend 3 months defining tools on the machines when I already spent years doing that in Mastercam. ;)

3 minutes ago, jeff said:

In theory the way Okuma does this is nice...but for us being a job shop and using a trillion different tools in no less than 5 setups a day on average it just isn't logical for us to use it.  And I'm not going to spend 3 months defining tools on the machines when I already spent years doing that in Mastercam. ;)

The thing Is, this customer wants things a certain way and we are doing our best to accommodate them.

I am having to work with what they give me.

Just now, Müřlıń® said:

The thing Is, this customer wants things a certain way and we are doing our best to accommodate them.

I am having to work with what they give me.

The customer dictates how your mills are setup?

Or are you one of the lucky ones that sets up other peoples machines? Because that seems like fun.

1 minute ago, jeff said:

The customer dictates how your mills are setup?

Or are you one of the lucky ones that sets up other peoples machines? Because that seems like fun.

They are not MY mills,,,,

I am a hired gun that goes onsite and programs for THEIR machines.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, gcode said:

Maybe you could give the Imperial taps a fake feed rate in Mastercam so that the post

outputs the correct value in mm??

Mastercam outputs the CORRECT Metric pitch.

It is the machine that faults out because it has already been defined with all the pitch settings in the canned cycles stored in the control and will not read the metric 

equivalent.   

These machines will only use sync tap because they are all set in a floating holder.

So only G95 will work.  

maybe I should have mentioned that meh bad...

So while in Metric units, the posts outputs a feed of 1.954 for a 1/2-13 tap...which is the correct output for metric units...

however the machine faults.....I have to manually enter a feedrate of .07692 to get G95 to work.

ff.png

46 minutes ago, Müřlıń® said:

Mastercam outputs the CORRECT Metric pitch.

It is the machine that faults out because it has already been defined with all the pitch settings in the canned cycles stored in the control and will not read the metric 

equivalent.   

These machines will only use sync tap because they are all set in a floating holder.

So only G95 will work.  

maybe I should have mentioned that meh bad...

So while in Metric units, the posts outputs a feed of 1.954 for a 1/2-13 tap...which is the correct output for metric units...

however the machine faults.....I have to manually enter a feedrate of .07692 to get G95 to work.

ff.png

The good thing about Okuma controls is that there is usually a way around everything.

I"m wondering if there is a command that ignores the tool library values and just uses the program values.

Would it be possible to use a separate tool management group variable just for tapping? Since I have no experience with this i'm just tossing out ideas. ;)

VTLD1  0-255 groups

Maybe create a bogus group just for taps and have that group empty?

12 minutes ago, jeff said:

Would it be possible to use a separate tool management group variable just for tapping? Since I have no experience with this i'm just tossing out ideas. ;)

VTLD1  0-255 groups

Maybe create a bogus group just for taps and have that group empty?

WOW I had no Idea the post could affect the UI so much.

It was all in the post...

I had no Idea a bad post could bug out the UI.

This is with the old post loaded....I am in metric units and inch taps are available...not good....not good...

zzz.png