Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

any one using curved monitors?

jlw™

Not sure I will ever buy another Samsung Computer monitor. I have sitting 3 of there LED 27" and all of a sudden could be a year or more down the road they loose video connction . but I may connect to another computer and then they may work.

moved backed to dell 27" no issues and better picture.

PS Ben has the curved screens that I remember. I for sure would have to go with to of them. I have a hutch on my desk so there is not enough room for two 32" other wise would have done it for sure.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Jay Kramer @ Precision Programming said:

Not sure I will ever buy another Samsung Computer monitor. I have sitting 3 of there LED 27" and all of a sudden could be a year or more down the road they loose video connction . but I may connect to another computer and then they may work.

moved backed to dell 27" no issues and better picture.

PS Ben has the curved screens that I remember. I for sure would have to go with to of them. I have a hutch on my desk so there is not enough room for two 32" other wise would have done it for sure.

had the same thing happen last week...for no reason one of my 27" Samsung  just started loosing connect...

went black.......I swapped the ports I was using and it went away for now..

I run two curved LG ultrawides. Its a great setup. It would be even better if the curve was deeper yet. If I'm leaning in you can see the distortion on the edges from looking at the monitor at an angle but when I'm sitting back in my chair it doesn't. Ideally you would have your eyes at the center of the screens radius for the best view. Personally I think LG and Dell have the best monitors on the market. LG has a better color precision though. 

On 2017-06-01 at 10:24 AM, BenK said:

I run two curved LG ultrawides. Its a great setup. It would be even better if the curve was deeper yet. If I'm leaning in you can see the distortion on the edges from looking at the monitor at an angle but when I'm sitting back in my chair it doesn't. Ideally you would have your eyes at the center of the screens radius for the best view. Personally I think LG and Dell have the best monitors on the market. LG has a better color precision though. 

Ben are you running the 34" UW @ 1080p, or 1440p? I am thinking's of making the jump to 34" UW.

20 hours ago, BenK said:

To be fair, any monitor that you look at from an angle will distort. The advantage of the curved is the edges will be at less of an angle from your eyes. 

IPS panels have excellent side viewing angles.

The more common TN panels are terrible at side viewing.

20 hours ago, BenK said:

To be fair, any monitor that you look at from an angle will distort. The advantage of the curved is the edges will be at less of an angle from your eyes. 

Another thing to take into account with curved panels, is that a straight line will look a little curved if it goes along the entire screen.

7 minutes ago, jeff said:

Another thing to take into account with curved panels, is that a straight line will look a little curved if it goes along the entire screen.

You are correct but they still do distort at extreme angles. The LG monitors I have are ISP.

At first it takes a little getting used to but after using mine for about two years I don't even notice the curve anymore.

• Like 1

My work recently purchased a nice LG curved monitor for me and I absolutely love this thing, its about 2x as long as my old monitor but about the same height so with my laptop screen and then this thing next to it its like I am working with 3 screens because its large enough where I can split the screen and still see everything clearly.

from what I hear they are pricy, but in my opinion this huge curved screen did help me become slightly more productive so in the long run I think it was a worth while investment for my company in my opinion.