Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam and Gibbscam use the same 5-axis engine?

R. Van Winkle

20 minutes ago, R. Van Winkle said:

I was talking $#!? on a Gibbs forum about moving to Mastercam when we move to 5 axis machining and got shot down by someone claiming they both use the same engine, kernel whatever.

Is that true?

If so, wow.

Mastercam has 2 suites of 5X toolpaths..

There are legacy Mastercam toolpaths like 5X drill, 5X circle mill, swarf, project, and  multisurface that have been in Mastercam since V6 or V7

With the original X release, Mastercam added the ModuleWorks 5X suite. and Machine Sim.

Many CAM packages license ModuleWorks toolpaths.

Some use the full arsenal, some just license a few so they can say they are 5X  capable.

I don't know what 5X capabilities Gibbscam may or may not have

3 hours ago, gcode said:

Mastercam has 2 suites of 5X toolpaths..

There are legacy Mastercam toolpaths like 5X drill, 5X circle mill, swarf, project, and  multisurface that have been in Mastercam since V6 or V7

With the original X release, Mastercam added the ModuleWorks 5X suite. and Machine Sim.

Many CAM packages license ModuleWorks toolpaths.

Some use the full arsenal, some just license a few so they can say they are 5X  capable.

I don't know what 5X capabilities Gibbscam may or may not have

So Mastercam was 5 axis before 5 axis was cool, and well before ModuleWorks was founded (2003). In fact, it says it was created to develop the plugin for, wait for it... Mastercam! LOL.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, R. Van Winkle said:

So Mastercam was 5 axis before 5 axis was cool

Yes.. I'm pretty sure the seat of V7 I purchased in 1998 had the legacy 5X toolpaths MC2018 has today, with the exception of 5X circle mill

which was introduced in one of the early X releases. All of the legacy 5X toolpaths have received upgrades over the years and are much improved over the V7 versions

4 hours ago, R. Van Winkle said:

So Mastercam was 5 axis before 5 axis was cool, and well before ModuleWorks was founded (2003). In fact, it says it was created to develop the plugin for, wait for it... Mastercam! LOL.

You wouldn't believe if I told you the whole thing... :lol:

Camaix the German reseller had a customer who wanted to machine submarine propellers with Mastercam . As it was not possible at that time (v. 9 ? )  They created a c-hook.

The c-hook took on a life of it's  own after that....also known as Moduleworks :) 

Gracjan 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mark @ PPG said:

Didn't they try to sell it to CNC Software at the beginning? CNC Software wasn't interested, and that was the beginning of Module Works....I think, lol

Had they bought it in the early offers, maybe they would not have paved the path for a bunch of competitors in many fronts. Look at the Quantum Leap in terms of quality and functionality guys like BobCam had, thanks to 3rd party component technology. They could never built all that stuff in house. They are just one example among dozens.

What´s written is written, and ModuleWorks could exist one way or another as there is a strong will to excel behind them... 

But we never know... I´m glad it turned out to be what it is... ModuleWorks along with MachineWorks make CAM technology better, faster, more reliable and reachable. If they did not exist maybe much of what we take for granted today wouldn´t be around.

I always say ModuleWorks started with toolpaths and later with simulation and other components. They can beat MachineWorks hands down on this front. MachineWorks can also provide some toolpath engines, but not even close to what ModuleWorks can do. MachineWorks is very strong in the simulation and mesh manipulation though. Their Polygonica product was born as a spin-off from their simulation expertise, and also to expand their income sources as they could not survive to ModuleWorks as a whole with only simulation products.

https://mfgtalk.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/component-technology-theres-no-fun-without-it/

16 hours ago, sweeper said:

Nice link. Helps to clarify the amount of cross pollination that happens in the background between CAM systems. Hopefully the post will be updated to reflect how things have progressed since 2011.   

Eric

Honestly, it's business as usual ever since... But one thing the post mentions in its conclusions and that indeed got more attention from CAM suppliers was stock updates. After the post (And not due to it) Mastercam, Edgecam and other CAM vendors implemented this and the technology is still maturing but the times where excessive air cuts were the rule in this game are now part of the past thanks to stock update technology, this summed up with better toolpath algorithms like Opti Rough.