Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Basic Post Processing - June 2017 Containment Thread

On 6/18/2017 at 0:21 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

I can show you how to implement this in a generic example post, or your specific post, if you send me a Zip to Go...

I'd like you show adding questions and data into various comment sections with a generic file (I'm assuming it was my post you were responding to and accidentally quoted the wrong one). Mine is close enough to the mpmaster that I don't think it will be worth it to do a zip2go.

A question related to the office hours on Saturday: At what point should we consider starting fresh from a generic post instead of modifying an older existing one?  The main post I'm currently working with was originally modified from the Mpmaster from 2012 for x6. Since then I think it's only been migrated. 

14 hours ago, maverquip said:

I'd like you show adding questions and data into various comment sections with a generic file (I'm assuming it was my post you were responding to and accidentally quoted the wrong one). Mine is close enough to the mpmaster that I don't think it will be worth it to do a zip2go.

A question related to the office hours on Saturday: At what point should we consider starting fresh from a generic post instead of modifying an older existing one?  The main post I'm currently working with was originally modified from the Mpmaster from 2012 for x6. Since then I think it's only been migrated. 

For the "When to start a new Post" question; I always try and assess what changes need to be made versus how much work has already been done to the Post. The other question that you should try to answer is "what are the current mechanics of the Post, and does this logic support the work you need to do"?

For example, most of the later Posts that were built in the "X series" of Mastercam already have "Parameter Reading" logic built into them. By using the "Update Post" function, the Update Post function should take care of renumbering any Parameters where the Parameter Number has changed.

I would not recommend updating to a newer Post from an X6 version, unless you haven't done much work to it already.

Now, if you had a Post that was originally built in Version 9 (or earlier), then now is a good time to consider updating. None of the V9 Posts had any of the modern Parameter Read logic, but you should also look to see what kind of edits were done, so you can have an idea of what it would take to start over with a new Post.

In our example from Office Hours on Saturday, that Post was originally built for the Version 4 MP Executable. That is just about the oldest Post I've seen that is still in use, and it would be a no-brainer to start over with that one...

On 6/20/2017 at 1:21 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

For the "When to start a new Post" question; I always try and assess what changes need to be made versus how much work has already been done to the Post. The other question that you should try to answer is "what are the current mechanics of the Post, and does this logic support the work you need to do"?

For example, most of the later Posts that were built in the "X series" of Mastercam already have "Parameter Reading" logic built into them. By using the "Update Post" function, the Update Post function should take care of renumbering any Parameters where the Parameter Number has changed.

I would not recommend updating to a newer Post from an X6 version, unless you haven't done much work to it already.

Now, if you had a Post that was originally built in Version 9 (or earlier), then now is a good time to consider updating. None of the V9 Posts had any of the modern Parameter Read logic, but you should also look to see what kind of edits were done, so you can have an idea of what it would take to start over with a new Post.

In our example from Office Hours on Saturday, that Post was originally built for the Version 4 MP Executable. That is just about the oldest Post I've seen that is still in use, and it would be a no-brainer to start over with that one...

I'm actually working on retiring a post right now labeled v3.05 MP Executable - intial post 09/01/92. 

Pretty close right now as it's a simple 2x lathe and a lot of it is just formatting, but in the beginning of the program I need to use a G50 to set my tool positions and set a speed clamp on the spindle, so as an example of the program I'm using for reference the first line should be:

N10 G50 X190000 Z105000 S1500

The rest of the program has X formatted for diameter output, which I need, but the set position line and return home line specifically are outputting X95000 instead of X190000. The old post uses a global formula to scale xh$ to a diameter value every time it's referenced. Would this be acceptable/possible for modifying the Fanuc 2X Lathe post, or is there a more proper way of achieving that output?

3 hours ago, nperry said:

I'm actually working on retiring a post right now labeled v3.05 MP Executable - intial post 09/01/92. 

Pretty close right now as it's a simple 2x lathe and a lot of it is just formatting, but in the beginning of the program I need to use a G50 to set my tool positions and set a speed clamp on the spindle, so as an example of the program I'm using for reference the first line should be:

N10 G50 X190000 Z105000 S1500

The rest of the program has X formatted for diameter output, which I need, but the set position line and return home line specifically are outputting X95000 instead of X190000. The old post uses a global formula to scale xh$ to a diameter value every time it's referenced. Would this be acceptable/possible for modifying the Fanuc 2X Lathe post, or is there a more proper way of achieving that output?

Can you please send me a Zip to Go of your files so I can use them for a demo during class? A Global Formula might work OK, it really depends on if the variable is used only in that one spot, or also used for other purposes.

In class, last Thursday, I asked about changing a Fagor post to output parentheses instead of a semi-colon. A search through the entire post does not reveal any assignment for either the scomm_str or scomm_end strings, that are used throughout the post. I can only assume that they are being assigned in the encrypted section of the post. Probably as ";" & "" respectively.

I'm going to try and assign a couple of new strings; sopen_prn & sclose_prn, as the open & close parens. Then do a find and replace all and see how that works. As long as my new strings don't duplicate something in the psb file, I think it'll work.

This is a supported Postability post & I've had my retailer send it on to them, so this is really just an exercise. But that's what we're here for , right? :)

3 hours ago, Master Mason said:

Can any one get to the videos on eapprentice website, I'm seeing none! -_-

I believe you have to use the link that Jessica Thompson sent over to access the videos being that it is a temporary deal for the ones that purchased the class.