Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing tool holder as a solid model

Brad Lisle

2 minutes ago, F10Brandon said:

I only have the option of DXF and any Mastercam file. No option for Step.  I suppose you could open it and resave it as a mastercam file. Im running X9

Yup, that's X9

Ahhh, in the Tool Manager you can only import a DXF, but in a operation you can import the solid model. Now, only if all the STEP files were orientated correctly. You still can not select a level that has the solid model. So now I need to open each STEP file, reorient and export just to import again. Grrrr this is a little frustrating.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Brad Lisle said:

Ahhh, in the Tool Manager you can only import a DXF, but in a operation you can import the solid model. Now, only if all the STEP files were orientated correctly. You still can not select a level that has the solid model. So now I need to open each STEP file, reorient and export just to import again. Grrrr this is a little frustrating.

Blame the creator of the files....there is an ISO standard 

ISO 13399 ( Cutting tool data representation and exchange ) is an international technical standard by ISO (the International Organization for Standardization) for the computer-interpretable representation and exchange of industrial product dataabout cutting tools and toolholders.

Mastercam and others do follow the standard

6 minutes ago, JParis said:

Blame the creator of the files....there is an ISO standard 

Mastercam and others do follow the standard

I know, I'm not blaming Mastercam for this one, although if I could select the level that the solid is in it would eliminate a couple of steps.

• 2 months later...