Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant Help

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

hope they didn't clean (not) like my guys did. all residue- bacteria must be out of there or your just starting the science project over again with a head start to grow stuff

any other brand of coolant ?

2 hours ago, Goldorak said:

we switch from valenite to Ometa a couple years ago 

since , we eliminate pratically all the problems related to coolant 

except it stains the sh!t out of 7075

I've heard good stuff about Ometa for use as a way oil in that it is soluble in water and doesn't feed the bacteria (i guess).

My Okuma with box ways is getting pretty overloaded with way oil, so i'm interested.

didn't know about the staining issue with 7075 and Ometa, thank for the tip. It's a no go, then. Not super surprising since corrosion is an issue with 7000 series.

Using hang stuffers here, no issues.  It's good for six months at a time without getting stinky.  Or maybe my nose doesn't work very well.

One advantage I have is that the late model Haas doesn't squirt gallons of way lube into the coolant like some other machines I've worked on, it has a minimum quantity grease system that goes several months (almost a year) on a quart.

7 hours ago, JParis said:

except it stains the sh!t out of 7075

Agreed. Using Novamet 910 over here. Didn't stain for the first month or two (but foamed like crazy). Stains 6061 and 7075 reallllly bad. Don't even have to let it soak. Start a 2 hour surfacing cycle and the first half of the part will be all jacked up by the time the program ends.

8 hours ago, civicegg said:

Techcool from Chemetall. Cut a lot of different types of plastics, and fiberglass blends. No adverse issues with any material I ran it on. 

Also, if your coolant rep isn't willing to address your issues, it is time to move on. 

Thank you what techcool #?

Does anyone else like Blaser Swisslube? Not only is it an excellent coolant, it is bio-compatible. It naturally resists bacterial growth, without having an actual bactericide. I love this coolant. They have several different formulations, depending on the materials and processes you use.

One of the really great things about Blaser is that they won't just sell you something. They will test your water first to determine the best coolant type and concentration for your machines and parts.

When I was running machines in the 90's, we had an issue with foaming on a couple jobs. Their regular anti-foaming agent wasn't helping. Blaser came into our shop, looked at the processes, tested our water, and developed a custom anti-foaming additive that worked with the high levels of silicon and iron in our water. They gave us instructions to add a certain amount of it when we changed out our coolant. (I think it was something like 3 grams per 10 gallons, or something that.) Our foaming issues were eliminated completely.

• Like 1

No matter what coolant you use coolant maintenance is a must. I have oil skimmers and aerators on the machines here. Next step is to get a coalescer. The cleaner you keep your coolant the longer it will last and the less bad bacterial build up you get.

I'm using HANGSTERFER'S  S500 CF here.

http://www.zebraskimmers.com/oil_skimmer_products/portable_coalescer.html

• Like 2

One of the really great things about Blaser is that they won't just sell you something. They will test your water first to determine the best coolant type and concentration for your machines and parts.

I can not express how I hate Blaser. I worked in a shop that used more than a 55 gallon drum in a month, zero support for the ongoing issues we had. Switched to Chemetall and never looked back.  I go in roughly 10 shops a month now, I can tell who runs Blaser, just by walking in. So apparently it is not just my old job. We had skimmers and aerators on each machine, checked the concentration and pH, Blaser still smelled like vomit.

The first 8 years we ran Blaser, it was flawless, the last 2 years were horrendous. It makes me believe they changed their formula. As nothing changed on our end.

• Like 1
On 6/26/2017 at 9:23 PM, civicegg said:

Techcool from Chemetall. Cut a lot of different types of plastics, and fiberglass blends. No adverse issues with any material I ran it on. 

Also, if your coolant rep isn't willing to address your issues, it is time to move on. 

I have been using this same for a couple of years now at 2 different shops. Works well and goes a long time with no smell. Right now a year with out pumping and cleaning. Mostly aluminum  but have cut brass, copper steel and stainless with it all with no problem. Plenty of tapping with no problems.