Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant control

I am creating some custom drill cycles and have it pretty much figured out, except I want to out  put the coolant on/off commands in  different places to the normal .
First one I am attempting is a deep hole (9D+) cycle. First I make a counterbore / pilot hole then drop the drill point in with a reduced spindle speed and feed rateto "capture" the end of the drill.

Then I kick up the spindle speed and feed rate, and I would like to turn the thru spindle coolant on just before the spindle increase but after the slow entry and leave the flood coolant where it is.

Then after the fast feed back to the same point turn off the thru spindle coolant before withdrawing completely from the counterbore followed by flood coolant off at clearance height.

Here's what I have for output now:

N1 T7 M06 (0.0748 CARB. TC DRILL)
G90 G54 X.11 Y-.2964 S200 M03
G43 H1 Z2.
M08
M88
G04 X2.0
G94
G00 Z.24
G01 Z.0495 F5.
S10214
G01 Z-.0731 F16.
G01 Z.0495 F50.
G00 Z2.
M09
M89
M05
G91 G28 Z0.
A0. G28 Y0.
M30

Here's where I want to go:

N1 T7 M06 (0.0748 CARB. TC DRILL)
G90 G54 X.11 Y-.2964 S200 M03
G43 H1 Z2.
M08
G94
G00 Z.24
G01 Z.0495 F5.
M88
G04 x2.0
S10214
G01 Z-.0731 F16.
G01 Z.0495 F50.
M89
G00 Z2.
M08
M05
G91 G28 Z0.
A0. G28 Y0.
M30

A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated, is there an existing mechanism to control this as I already have the dwell for the thru spindle coolant to get up to full pressure for all TC drills it would be nice to use the existing modification which I have  in pcant_out. I have tried getting there using pcan(1 or 2) with no success.

Thanks in advance for help

Need to add logic in the tool change section that looks for the drilling cycle called to not turn on the coolant when you don't want to then turn it on when you want. I have sued this kind of logic for years with probing, but the problem is normally with drill cycle logic it doesn't quite fall into place so some people will use a mi or mr trigger to help it along.

Thanks Ron

What method / mechanism for turning the coolant on/off ? I've already created some logic in the toolchange section to differentiate the the drill cycle and the speed  and feed changes using some variables I created + custom drill params, is this where I need to go for the coolant output too? Was just hoping I could use the existing pcant_out. Can I use suppress to stop the output and then call it later or does suppress not allow this. Can't find suppress in the documentation, is it considered a function?

23 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Where are you working these days?

Same place. We had some major shake ups do to the death of our original GM. And the corporate wheels grind slowly. Then the CAR for the training expired for various technical reasons.

Our new upper management didn't quite know how to deal with me at first (can you imagine THAT!?), but they are 2 smart guys (new GM and OPS MAN) and it looks like we are cooking again. We are now one of the top performing companies in the PCC empire, so that helps getting $$ out of corporate....The new CAR with training is in the works, ETA 2-3 months, it's attached to our next new machine.

Thought I would do some self training in the meantime, then we can get into more "meaty' topics more quickly.....

I will keep you posted.

Ok, this should be simpler than we are making it out to be. Coolant Codes are output on the 1025 line. They are output as a result of you turning on a Coolant Option in the dialog.

The "correct" solution is to use Mastercam as the "input" to the Post. Always, if possible. By that I mean that you should be entering the data in the Mastercam Operations Manager, or in an individual Operation.

In your case, you just need to make sure you are setup to use "X style" coolant. Then you can do whatever you want with the coolant options. Just make sure you select the coolant option in the drop-down list.

Here is a Canned Text 1025 with coolant enabled. (3 coolant options are turned on, the other options are for other Canned Text output.)

With X Style Coolant, you get up to 10 different on/off pairs of strings.

In the Machine Definition Manager -> General Machine Parameters -> Coolant Tab, make sure both Check Boxes are disabled.

With MPMaster, the post is setup to take the String directly from the "Enable" and "Disable" fields, so you can edit the output directly if you are starting with MPMaster. If starting with a "Generic" post from CNC Software, the edits should be made inside the Post.

14 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Here is a Canned Text 1025 with coolant enabled. (3 coolant options are turned on, the other options are for other Canned Text output.)

Did you mean to give an example here ? If so I can't see it. No worries though I will create a few combinations and run it through the debugger, it will be a good exercise.

So I want to use the "enable" / "disable as an extra switch?

I am still using the MPMaster base we got together at Royell.......I have done some mods since then but the basic post remains, totally bullet proof, haven't checked code to the machines in years. And since fixing the manual entry posting before the header issue I am 100% edit free.

Once I get the custom drill cycles finished I am going to make a "fresh" X9 MPmaster, it will be good revision of what I have done so far.. Then I will move on to 2018 which I am preparing to install, from what I have read I think there might be some extra opportunity there....

Yeah, sorry about that. I was going to paste in the 1025 line from my text editor, I just forgot.

We're basically just using one of the "extra" coolant option to trigger the special coolant options that you want for Gun Drilling, or whatever option you want in your custom cycle. Note that we don't "have to" do it this way, but if you want to use the existing "Canned Text" mechanism (that is already built into the post for you), then this is how we do it. Otherwise, we can use an optional "Drill Parameter" to pass whatever data we want into the Custom Drill Cycle, and then we output whatever we want for the cycle.

I'm always a fan of using the existing logic and architecture in the post, whenever possible. This is for two reasons:

1. You get consistent behavior when using the existing mechanisms, so other programmers will find the options in a familiar spot.
  2. You are less likely to "break" the output of the Post, since the Post is keeping track of "states or modes" for you, when you utilize the existing logic inside the Post.

I'm glad to hear that everything is bulletproof. That's the whole goal of making the post edits in the first place. Once you get it dialed in, it is just set it and forget it.

24 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I'm always a fan of using the existing logic and architecture in the post, whenever possible.

That's why I wanted to try and go down this route, the less unnecessary stuff floating around the better, lest something unexpected suddenly rears its ugly head.

I think I will learn a lot from this exercise, I will post the finished product when I have it all worked out.

Thanks brother....

• Like 1