Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Viewsheets. Why you no click it?

jlw™

Viewsheets. Why you not click it?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. I have recently received files from several guys I consider to be jam up programmers. Not a single Viewsheet in them. From none of them. I'm not talking quick, one off 3 axis parts. I'm talking multiple setups across multiple machines 5 axis parts. So, do you use Viewsheets?

• Yes
    • No
    • What the heck is a Viewsheet?
    • I'm wierd and don't even have a system for level naming

I use Viewsheets.  A lot in fact.  At this point, I'd be lost with out it.  At a minimum I use one for every setup.  Usually more for quick hops around a program.

I have received files recently from people I consider to be good programmers.  I'm not talking simple, one off 3 axis programs.  I'm talking serious multiple machine and multiple setups per machine type parts.  Hundreds of levels.  Not a single Viewsheet.  How do you follow that?

So, who uses Viewsheets and who doesn't?

If you don't, why not?  How do you manage your levels for different setups?

• Like 1

It's nothing for me to have a hunnert or more levels on many of my jobs.  How do you manage "setups" or do you not worry with it and just clickitty click down the level list every time you want something different?

3 minutes ago, jeff said:

I still have no clue how Level Sets work.

If you have levels that go together.....you name the level set all the same exact name, you can then toggle them all on/off via a right click int he level manager

8 hours ago, jlw™ said:

I use Viewsheets.  A lot in fact.  At this point, I'd be lost with out it.  At a minimum I use one for every setup.  Usually more for quick hops around a program.

I have received files recently from people I consider to be good programmers.  I'm not talking simple, one off 3 axis programs.  I'm talking serious multiple machine and multiple setups per machine type parts.  Hundreds of levels.  Not a single Viewsheet.  How do you follow that?

So, who uses Viewsheets and who doesn't?

If you don't, why not?  How do you manage your levels for different setups?

I don't use them mostly out of habit. I've used Level Sets for this type of behavior for years, namely, the ability to turn on/off groups of levels at once. When Viewsheets were first introduced, there were only a few settings that were saved to each sheet. Over the years, they improved and added functionality to them, to the point where they are now  very useable, and provide a lot of capability, if you use it.

For me, old habits die hard, so I tend to just use Level Sets. I also don't program with Mastercam "full-time" anymore, so there isn't really an opportunity for me to get familiar with using them.

• Like 1

I originally programmed in APT, organizing your geometry file in some sort of usable and logical order was essential. So with 999,999 levels it was a natural and easy transfer for me. Each OP starts on a number separated by 100 or 1000 depending on the size of the file. I always put a copy of the origin on the first level, say 100. Op2 would be 200. All Op1 Toolpath geometry 120 - 130, Op2 220 - 230.....you get the idea. 0 -  100 for models and setup geometry etc...things that all the ops might refer to. Then good descriptions on the level. Use Level sets sometimes, rarely use viewsheets.

• Like 2

I have always wanted to pursue using them but I think I tried once back when they first were introduced and didn't  understand it.  Is there any good Tutorial videos on how they work and how to use them. I think if more people would use them if they had proper instruction.   

Well said Colin.

Jlw, The one thing to not is some of us have been using Mastercam for a very long time. We have developed what works for us before some of these things were what they are today. The product has changed a lot over the years, and especially the last five. Honestly I still don't find view sheets all that useful. With my spacepilot I can rotate to any angle with relatively no effort and level sets I can change active levels with a simple left click selection. But with that said, we all use it differently and that is whats great about it, options.

• Like 5

I don't bother with viewsheets for 3ax side 1 flip side 2 stuff. But use them always for rotary work.

I find them a real timesaver and as Colin says, they've been enhanced (thanks Josh :D ) to the point where they are indispensable for me.

I know Ron has said he doesn't use them because of so many planes for the jobs he does, and all I can say is I'm glad I don't make chit like him :hrhr:

• Like 3

I use levels. 

Here's the contents of my CSV file; 

1,Original Solid
2,Original Solid Edge Curves
3,OP01 Material
4,OP02 Material
5,OP03 Material
6,Top Solid Extrusion Geometry
7,Front Solid Extrusion Geometry
8,Right Side Solid Extrusion Geometry
9,Left Side Solid Extrusion Geometry
10,OP01 Fixture Solid 1
11,OP01 Fixture Solid 2
15,OP01 Fixture Wireframe 1
16,OP01 Fixture Wireframe 2
20,OP02 Fixture Solid 1
21,OP01 Fixture Solid 2
25,OP02 Fixture Wireframe 1
26,OP02 Fixture Wireframe 2
30,OP02 Fixture Solid 1
31,OP01 Fixture Solid 2
35,OP03 Fixture Wireframe 1
36,OP03 Fixture Wireframe 2
101,OP01 Toolpath Geometry - 
102,OP01 Toolpath Geometry - 
201,OP02 Toolpath Geometry - 
202,OP02 Toolpath Geometry - 
301,OP03 Toolpath Geometry -
302,OP03 Toolpath Geometry -
900,Blanked Entities
1001,Form Tool #1
1002,Form Tool #2
10000,OP01 WCS Lines
20000,OP02 WCS Lines
30000,OP03 WCS Lines

For the prismatic parts we do (80>150 ops typically), I'm using less and less levels and more and more driving from the model.

Since X9 and the HUGE improvement of wire frame selection and being able to see it,* I use it a whole lot more than I used to.

* I knew Joanie Bonkquears was right all along :hrhr:

I use both Level Set and Viewsheet. How much of either depends on part. I use Levels 1-1000 for part(s), toolpaths and fixtures. The 1000 numbers are for standard tooling that need geometry and 8000 numbers for special tooling. 10000 numbers for whatever drawings I need which isn't much these days.

I use viewsheet for S/U sheets and close up views of intricate work mainly. The biggest issue I had when I started using Viewsheet was forgetting to lock the view (Save Viewsheet  Bookmark).

• Like 1

Like most things, viewsheets were terrible and so lacking in function when it was released that after trying it for a few releases I stopped trying. Never bothered to pick it up again. Everything I do is just geared around level sets and levels. It just works every time.

22 minutes ago, gms1 said:

Like most things, viewsheets were terrible and so lacking in function when it was released that after trying it for a few releases I stopped trying. Never bothered to pick it up again. Everything I do is just geared around level sets and levels. It just works every time.

They were pretty wonky at first... but in MC2017 they're really rock solid.

18 minutes ago, Reko said:

They were pretty wonky at first... but in MC2017 they're really rock solid.

I do see a lot of people saying that and I am sure it does function a lot better i just do not have a need for something there yet. I'm sure I will in the future.

4 hours ago, gms1 said:

I do see a lot of people saying that and I am sure it does function a lot better i just do not have a need for something there yet. I'm sure I will in the future.

They are great for rotary work. Create a template file A0 A90 A180 A270 with all your planes set.

Import the model and away you go.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, newbeeee said:

They are great for rotary work. Create a template file A0 A90 A180 A270 with all your planes set.

Import the model and away you go.

Sometimes I wish I could template the stuff I do like that but that just doesn't happen. Ever. I've been here for 20 years and I still say all the time "Never did this before let's see what happens!". I just don't get the opportunity to make widget A, A1, A2, A3 type stuff. Its always different and always new which is the appeal to me to do this stuff daily I guess.

Some folks have elaborate operations libraries with neatly saved processes. I have 4000+ mastercam files dating back to 2005 as my ops files that just run all over the place with features and complexities.

I use them on nearly every part/assembly.  It makes it easier to get up to speed when opening up the file after months or years since programming it.  My most common labels are "OP1", "OP2", ... and "FIXTURE 1", ...  It improves my workflow while programming too.  Most of the time, I preset the operation viewsheets with the origin and active levels and then work my way through the process from start to finish.  When I get done, I mark up the viewsheets with set up information, print out the set up sheets and the views are saved for the next time I open the file. 

*edit*:

I just realized that this is my first post.... I have been lurking these great forums for a very long time.  I will take this opportunity to thank everyone for such a great resource.

• Like 2