Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mori NTX2000

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, Ewood42 said:

Does it have a gantry loader option? Does not look like it could bar feed the stock diameter we would be using. I did run the idea by management of just picking up any mill/turn machine and letting me set up a Fanuc robot for material handling, but they did not seem too interested in going that route... yet. Maybe they'll change their tune if it means getting a comparable machine and part changing setup cheaper than the MTX through DMG. We're definitely trying to move toward more automation here, that is a must with the next machine purchase. Must be able to run, once set up, for minimum of 12 hours untended since we do not have a graveyard shift.

Sorry for the delay in response, I have not been on here for quite a while. I believe Okuma does offer a gantry loaded for the Multus, but it may have the same downfalls as some of the others with limited gripping force to handle the size/weight. You said it is Ø5.5" bar, but what would the slug length be? and the weight? We also have a full automation team that can integrate Fanuc or other brand robot loaders. Another popular option is a robot with a drawer system. It creates a very compact and efficient setup. We have an Okuma Multus U3000 located near you, in Tualatin, if you would like to view. BTW... is this Eric, previously at Turk?

13 hours ago, Brad Lisle said:

Sorry for the delay in response, I have not been on here for quite a while. I believe Okuma does offer a gantry loaded for the Multus, but it may have the same downfalls as some of the others with limited gripping force to handle the size/weight. You said it is Ø5.5" bar, but what would the slug length be? and the weight? We also have a full automation team that can integrate Fanuc or other brand robot loaders. Another popular option is a robot with a drawer system. It creates a very compact and efficient setup. We have an Okuma Multus U3000 located near you, in Tualatin, if you would like to view. BTW... is this Eric, previously at Turk?

Slugs for the part we are using as our "max size" (biggest parts we run large quantities of anyway) are 70lbs and 9-1/4" long. Funny you should mention a drawer system though, we already have one set up for drilling/inspecting small parts, designed and installed by DMG Mori. Had quite a few kinks to work out, but it's fairly solid now. Still have the occasional issue with it (most recently discovering some screws had stripped that were only designed/selected to have about 1/2D engagement), but if needed I can keep it running 23 out of 24 hours. 

It sounds like management might be scaling back the scope of the purchase to just get a machine that can run the parts complete and stick with having a human operator for now. I think they may have mentioned getting the gantry loader just for unloading since the parts are light enough for it after machining, but then we're only buying it to do half the job. They're pretty sold on DMG Mori at the moment, so I'd have a hard time convincing them to even look at anything else at this point. 

And nope, not Eric. 

On 7/11/2017 at 4:24 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Hate to break it to you, you're not bar feeding that. I've seen 4" brass be bar fed before but that was soooooo pushing the limit. 

Slug it. It's safer, more reliable, and can be easily automated. 

Not exactly what you're talking about... but close!

I worked at a bearing company that we bar fed 8~9 in dia - 1.75~2.9 wall - 12 foot bars into Okuma 4 axis lathes - late 80's, early 90' machines - LR and LC machines...

Using "in house" made bar feeders.  :P

Fun started when you got a bent bar spun up to 1800 rpm...  :wub: