Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Upgrade to 2018 from 2017?

huskermcdoogle

Any reasons why I shouldn't spend the time installing 2018 and migrating?  I see more and more on the forum having trouble migrating workspace customizations, which shouldn't be much of an issue for me as I have not spend much time customizing.  But haven't heard many of the old migration gripes from versions past.

Opinions wanted.

Migration is easy, people have issues mainly because they don't know how to do it properly....

I run the Advanced migration and ONLY on the shared folder......

Then I manually copy my .workspace to 2018.....

This worked while updating to every BETA and installing the release....

Less than 20 minutes and back running

and I do not EVER copy my config

Edited by Guest
Just now, Thee Rickster ™ said:

i just select my config from 2017 and it worked pretty good but had to link all the

specific file paths

You'll find there are fewer things to change if you just leave the 2018 config or any version for that matter.....there is a merge option...I haven't played it though

2 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Fun Fact: 90% of the "migration" issues are caused by a single issue - failing to set "Control Definition Defaults".

If people would simply learn how to do this very easy step, I swear it would solve at least 90% of the issues that people encounter...

Hmmm, yes, I must remind myself to take care of this before doing the migration this time.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm reading all the documentation before I do something stupid.

We have custom post for our machines and I want the migration to go flawlessly.

One video said to copy all of 2017's stuff and put it in a folder UPDATE, then use the convert migration utility and point it to that folder????

I emailed  Mike but haven't heard back from him yet.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:00 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Fun Fact: 90% of the "migration" issues are caused by a single issue - failing to set "Control Definition Defaults".

If people would simply learn how to do this very easy step, I swear it would solve at least 90% of the issues that people encounter...

I have a question for you.  From version to version are there many (or any) changes to control and machine definitions? I know that this is a little off topic but I ask because I like to do a file compare between posts (mpmaster) from version to version and if I notice that there have been a bunch of changes, install the new version and update the relevant settings to match my current posts. I usually do that with the post only.   

3 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

I have a question for you.  From version to version are there many (or any) changes to control and machine definitions? I know that this is a little off topic but I ask because I like to do a file compare between posts (mpmaster) from version to version and if I notice that there have been a bunch of changes, install the new version and update the relevant settings to match my current posts. I usually do that with the post only.   

It is pretty rare for them to make changes to the MD or CD, but it will occasionally happen. Typically, it is the "Parameter" numbers themselves that change, but typically they don't mess with the MD or CD parameters.