Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Turning Tools issues

Greg_J

Hello,

I'm having issues creating a custom lathe tool that will cut correctly.

For starters my tool is a CMNG 543 tool for my Mazak Integrex C6-DCMN-00090-16 and DNMG 432 C6-DDMNL-00130-1504

When it comes out of the tool changer at B0 pointing toward the chuck and when I OD turn and Face it's at B45.

I just can't figure out what it needs from me in order for it to cut correctly.

I attached files for you to see what I'm talking about.

In the first Machine Group the first three programs are correct and are the current tools that I'm programming with but the issue is I have to change the B angle every time I post manually to 45 and they are just generic tools and not the actual tools I use. I'm using their tool paths as a reference to what I want my custom tools to do.

In the second Machine Group the programs that are made with the custom tools listed above and as you can see they aren't the same as the Machine Group.

If I change the center point of the tool it fixes one thing but messes up another.

In the program I have the tool angle set to 45 so I can get correct B axis position.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Custom Tool Issues.mcx-9

C6-DCMNN-00090-16.mcx-9

Greg, all of my lathe tools are HSK, and are custom. I assume the geometry is fine ? and tools are drawn, when tool changed. with the insert in the correct position ,i.e. facing to you/ facing away from you 

You then need to define the tool correctly along with clearances, this is the most crucial point, what i do with mines is set the defaults, then post to check, orientation of tool, spindle direction is correct, once i have got these done, it works fine, I am off work at the moment, so cannot check your files. So hope what i am saying is understandable.

Thanks for the reply.

If I scan for tool clearances when I rotate the tool to 45 deg for cutting it applies those clearances and gives me a wonky tool path.

I don't get any errors on my custom files that I'm using, I have the correct insert and body colours.

It seems it has to do with the center point and nose radius and where the custom files origin should be in relation to the center of the radius of the insert or the end of the insert.

Mastercam greyed out my compensation choices so I can't try different ones to see if it helps the issue, I have to create a new tool and still some of my options are greyed out . 

I had the same problem with programming our Multus.

If you teach the tool with a toolsetter, the coordinates do not represent the numbers on the print.

If you teach the tool @ 45 degrees, you will get code that matches the print, but Mastercam doesn't really handle this well, that I know of.

My post guys gave me a workaround that allows me to program with a standard vertical tool.

The post mod can be edited to accommodate any number of tools by editing if abs(t$) < 3, "BA=45", #Tools 1 and 2 taught at 45 degrees.

pfbout          #Force B axis output
      if posttype$ = one,
        [
        if not(tdircode = 1 & fmtrnd(babs) = 90) & not(tdircode = 0 & fmtrnd(babs) = 0), *babs, [if useg52 = 1, "G52"]
        ]
      else,
        [
        if abs(t$) < 3, "BA=45", #Tools 1 and 2 taught at 45 degrees
        else,
          [
          if not(tdircode = 1 & fmtrnd(babs) = 90) & not(tdircode = 0 & fmtrnd(babs) = 0), *babs, [if useg52 = 1, "G52"]
          ]
        ]
      !babs
      ms_b = babs

Thanks for the reply.

I've been playing with this for awhile now trying to create one tool that I can use a multiple angles, I should be able to set the tool angle to what ever I want and get the correct B angle posted out and the program should comp the nose rad so I get a good machined model as well.

Either I get good code but violations in my stock in Mastercam or I get good stock in Mastercam but bad code.

I'll consider your post mod if I can't get this figured out.