Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Open to some suggestion.

crazy^millman

Okay need this machined between the 2 Axis lines you see in the file. I have tried many different things and I can do it in a 3+2 and get it done, but I should be able to 5 axis this without all the hop skip and jumps Mastercam is giving me. I have started this project in 2017 and I will finish it in 2017. I open to what anyone can offer as a suggestion thought or idea to accomplish what I am after. Thanks.

HOP SKIP AND JUMP.stp

hop skip and jump.png

19 hours ago, Codeworx said:

Good thought, but I need to machine more under the part so it can go the lathe to be finished. I am just getting it close enough that they can take it right from the here with excess stock I am leaving and turn it to then do the needed testing with this. I know how to do it, but is is a ton of work if I do it 5 Axis. By doing it 3+2 I leave about a .02 area not machined with +.025 stock I am done. Once might ask how I would do it and that is curve 5 axis. Draw the geometry to drive the toolpath that was how we did it for years before we got Morph and many other great 5 Axis toolpaths. Curve 5 Axis is probably one of the most powerful 5 axis toolpaths that most people never use for this type of work. I can make it dance the gig and tip its hat on a 5 Axis machine. I want to get a head within .01 of a part and know it will never hit then curve 5 Axis was also my go to path. Like anything it is a ton of work doing so, but when I started back in V9 you did what you had to machine the parts.

I notice you didn't have the 2 1/4" blocks in your file. They are important since they are what is holding it in place when we machine the rest of it. I can make Morph like it is do what I want, but I would need to use toolpath editor and since the graphics don't match the toolpath you have to save the toolpath to a level to have something to reference. You then would go through point by point hand toolpaths editor to fix all the hop skip and jumps and it would be an awesome toolpath. My biggest issue is we run into singularity going about it this way every time the head is at the top of the part. If I go about it your way we run less of a risk since it should fall a little off perfect A0 C0 for the motion, but it was not getting far enough under the part to be what I want. 

I have about 500 engineers watching this part run on the machine it is running the little thing comes out of. Even the owner of the company has gotten involved with this project and when people don't know what they don't know the more you can impress them with cool 5 Axis motion the better you look. Me I really could care less, but I am trying to help the people who keep justifying I am needed to help get this done I am really needed to those that keep thinking I am not and I am just some crazy person who does milling differently that anyone else they have working for them.

Hum guess Crazy^Millman (Crazy to a Higher Power that does Milling) still fits after 30 years of being Crazy for getting into Machining. You are going to do what with your life? Be a machinist, but you can be a Doctor or a Lawyer or get your Degree and be an Engineer, but you will never amount to anything if you choose to work with your hands and be a machinist. You are crazy. At 14 years old I made that decision and 15 years old 30 years ago I went forward by going to Machine Shop in Vocational School that at the time was more for kids who had dropped out of school and were given a 2nd chance to finish High School and try to do something with their lives. I was not taking all advanced and placement classes for college every other student I had gone to Jr High School was doing. They all thought I was crazy too only take some Advanced Classes and remedial classes while going to Vocational school at the same time and they loved picking on me for my dumb decision. Here I am all the years later still doing this crazy thing. Lord I give you the honor and Glory for my talents and abilities and thankful you have blessed me.

Sorry for length one boss really disliked that about me he hated reading my emails.

Ron, I sent you an email. I used 5 axis parallel with the tilt lines as my control a start point set on the bottom of the part and collision control set to relink. It gives you a nice zig-zag motion getting under the part nicely. 

I used customer specific information so I can't post it here.

1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

Good thought, but I need to machine more under the part so it can go the lathe to be finished. I am just getting it close enough that they can take it right from the here with excess stock I am leaving and turn it to then do the needed testing with this. I know how to do it, but is is a ton of work if I do it 5 Axis. By doing it 3+2 I leave about a .02 area not machined with +.025 stock I am done. Once might ask how I would do it and that is curve 5 axis. Draw the geometry to drive the toolpath that was how we did it for years before we got Morph and many other great 5 Axis toolpaths. Curve 5 Axis is probably one of the most powerful 5 axis toolpaths that most people never use for this type of work. I can make it dance the gig and tip its hat on a 5 Axis machine. I want to get a head within .01 of a part and know it will never hit then curve 5 Axis was also my go to path. Like anything it is a ton of work doing so, but when I started back in V9 you did what you had to machine the parts.

I notice you didn't have the 2 1/4" blocks in your file. They are important since they are what is holding it in place when we machine the rest of it. I can make Morph like it is do what I want, but I would need to use toolpath editor and since the graphics don't match the toolpath you have to save the toolpath to a level to have something to reference. You then would go through point by point hand toolpaths editor to fix all the hop skip and jumps and it would be an awesome toolpath. My biggest issue is we run into singularity going about it this way every time the head is at the top of the part. If I go about it your way we run less of a risk since it should fall a little off perfect A0 C0 for the motion, but it was not getting far enough under the part to be what I want. 

I have about 500 engineers watching this part run on the machine it is running the little thing comes out of. Even the owner of the company has gotten involved with this project and when people don't know what they don't know the more you can impress them with cool 5 Axis motion the better you look. Me I really could care less, but I am trying to help the people who keep justifying I am needed to help get this done I am really needed to those that keep thinking I am not and I am just some crazy person who does milling differently that anyone else they have working for them.

Hum guess Crazy^Millman (Crazy to a Higher Power that does Milling) still fits after 30 years of being Crazy for getting into Machining. You are going to do what with your life? Be a machinist, but you can be a Doctor or a Lawyer or get your Degree and be an Engineer, but you will never amount to anything if you choose to work with your hands and be a machinist. You are crazy. At 14 years old I made that decision and 15 years old 30 years ago I went forward by going to Machine Shop in Vocational School that at the time was more for kids who had dropped out of school and were given a 2nd chance to finish High School and try to do something with their lives. I was not taking all advanced and placement classes for college every other student I had gone to Jr High School was doing. They all thought I was crazy too only take some Advanced Classes and remedial classes while going to Vocational school at the same time and they loved picking on me for my dumb decision. Here I am all the years later still doing this crazy thing. Lord I give you the honor and Glory for my talents and abilities and thankful you have blessed me.

Sorry for length one boss really disliked that about me he hated reading my emails.

File was a quick and dirty Sunday sample for the idea, obviously not dialed in 100%. V2 has the Tool control Drive chain moved inside of part to allow the tool to reach the underside. Your sample file didn't have the legs so you would have to add them as collision control check surfaces.

+1 on Curve 5, whenever I cant make an advanced path do what I want, curve 5 will do anything,  its just alot of work to draw everything up which we try to avoid :) 

Ray

HOP SKIP AND JUMP_v2.mcam

• Like 1

Ben got your file and 2018 looks great now give it a shot in 2017 and see if you get the same results. ;)

Ray, sorry I thought I had added them into that stp file and forgot to do so. Thanks and that was a new way to use the software I learned so thank you for showing me that method as I had never used it before.

5 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Ray, sorry I thought I had added them into that stp file and forgot to do so. Thanks and that was a new way to use the software I learned so thank you for showing me that method as I had never used it before.

Np, thats why I love this community, so many different ways to do something and everyone is willing to share their knowledge.

I end up using chains alot to drive paths either from chain or to chain. By manipulating where the chain is or the shape of the chain you can control the tool exactly how you want. Need more tilt? put the chain closer, less tilt move it away. Need a zag 1/2 way np add a zig to chain.

Codeworx , that was neat. I remember using this axis control method only once  on a very  obvious case.  I understood that your v0 was just a 2 minute gig .  I was going to go with the Lines  for tool axis control....

Gracjan

• Like 2
On 7/17/2017 at 0:02 PM, C^Millman said:

Ben got your file and 2018 looks great now give it a shot in 2017 and see if you get the same results. ;)

Sorry, thought you were in 2018 on this one. Try this one. Same toolpath.

HOP SKIP AND JUMP 2017.mcam