Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis Post Processing - August 2017

Hello Everyone,

I'll be hosting another session of my 5 Axis Post Course from Eapprentice.net. This class will run through the month of August. We hold class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, from 7:30 - 10:00 PM. (4:30 - 7:00 PM, Pacific Time.) Class Dates: August 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24, 29, 31.

This course is designed to show you how to setup, edit, and operate the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post from CNC Software. We will configure the Post for two distinct machine types: Head/Head (Gantry), and Table/Table (Trunnion) type machines. We will also write a very simple "custom" 5 Axis Post, "from scratch", as we learn about and explore the Vector and Matrix Math functions available to us in the MP Language. After we learn how to properly configure the basic settings inside the Post, we will then learn how to control the Post output, using the Miscellaneous Integers and Real Numbers to modify the NC Code output.

In addition to our normal "lecture" days on Tuesday and Thursday, we will also host 2 hours per week of "Office Hours" sessions. These are open Question and Answer sessions that give the students the opportunity to ask real world questions about editing Post Processors.

For more information, please follow the link below. If you are interested in signing up for the course, please register through the Eapprentice site. Once you have completed the registration process, you'll have access to add the course to your "Cart" and proceed with checkout. Please note: For International Customers, your order may not process correctly, depending on how your Address and Postal Codes are configured. If you have any issues with Registration or Payment, please contact our Operations Manager, Connie Rourke: [email protected]

https://eapprentice.net/product/live-course-mastercam-5-axis-post-processing/

Thanks and best regards,

Colin Gilchrist

14 minutes ago, dingo780 said:

Very excited about this! I took your eapprentice MP post course a few years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. Super helpful and very informative.  Looking forward to it!

Hey, thanks for the compliment! That's about the nicest thing anyone has said about one of my classes. Who is this, BTW?

Colin,

I haven't registered yet as I will be travelling during the evening on the 8th. and don't know what my availability will be on the 10th as I will be at a shoot.  What is on the syllabus for the first two classes?  If they are posted quickly is it pretty likely I would get up to speed for the remaining 6 classes?

The first week we will be reviewing the 3D Math functions. While it is awesome, and useful information, it doesn't really involve much of the rest of the class. The last 3 weeks we explore the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post, and configure it for two different machine types: a Gantry and a Trunnion. Then we explore the Misc Integers and Real values, and look at how those switches are used to control NC code output.

With the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post, all of the math calculations are encrypted anyway, so learning Vector and Matrix mathematics is really just to understand how the Post functions. It is pretty rare that someone knows enough about MP to write a complete 5X Post from scratch. I've written close to a hundred 5X Posts, and all of them used the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post as a starting point.

So I'd say you could comfortably miss the first week, and not feel behind. The info is useful, but not critical to learning how to make the 5X post give you the output you want...

On 7/17/2017 at 3:58 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hey, thanks for the compliment! That's about the nicest thing anyone has said about one of my classes. Who is this, BTW?

Name's Mark Klimko. Don't think we've ever met. I do some applications engineering work for Nex Gen Cam here and there for HSM Works and Robotmaster. Been in Atlanta for the last year working on some movies. Shortly after taking your class, I started doing contract programming around the Los Angeles area under the name Expert CNC Services. Ended up doing more post configuration stuff than part programming. Worked out really well for me. I'm working with an offline robotic programming software developer right now who's asked me for help developing a Mastercam plugin, so your class couldn't have popped up at a better time. 

Looking forward to it.

42 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Sounds great Mark. It is always cool to hear about people putting the skills that I teach to good use. It will be interesting to see what you come up with for the Robot plugin. I know that was how Robot Master started many moons ago...

Correct me if I am wrong, but Moduleworks also.

I know that is how Verisurf got it's start.

13 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I don't honesty think ModuleWorks started as a Post Plug-in, but I could be wrong. I thought they started with their Toolpaths and Simulation engines...

Let me rephrase that for Mastercam customers in Germany that needed more control and ways to program their 5 axis machines. Then it morphed from there. Not a Post plug in, but an add-on to do what was needed. They were not making toolpaths on the fly they were once part of the Mastercam community if I understand everything correctly, but then started offering it to others after that was not going in a direction they thought it should. Again just what I have read or heard doesn't mean I have any of it correct.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, slyym said:

Hey Colin if I took this course would I be able to say modify the generic 5 axis post to work with any 5 axis machine like a mazak integrex? 

Hi Slyym,

Sorry I missed this the first time. Yes, this course would teach you how to modify the post for any 5 Axis machine type. The problem is that the Integrex machine is not a 5 Axis machine. Technically, we could support just the 5 Axis machining portion of driving that machine. The issue is that the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post does not have logic for Mill-Turn machining. You wouldn't have support for Lathe Mode, or switching between Lathe and Mill work. Also, no support for a 2nd Chuck.

It is possible, with a ton of dangerous hand-editing, to output just the 5 Axis code and then splice that together with some 2-Axis Lathe code, but I would not recommend doing that. I would recommend purchasing a Post Processor that would actually support all the functionality of that machine, and the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post does not support those features.

If you were asking about a Mazak Variaxis Trunnion like the 600 or 700 series, then I'd say "yes we can support the output of those machines 100% with this post". I can't say that of the Integrex.

I noticed you mentioning "helping someone out" with this machine in another thread. Do you have experience programming or running one already? There is a lot going on with a Multi-Tasking machine. Much more than just a standard 5X machine. I just want you to be aware of what you are getting into. I've had projects before where I've bitten off more than I can chew, and writing a Mill-Turn Post is one of those situations...

Best regards,

Colin

Oh I'm good. I've been programming for about 22 years now. Getting things pieced together because a cheap boss wont buy the proper post is my specialty, Lol! Unfortunately in Houston right now shops like the one I'm at and the one that is asking me for help have been hit pretty hard the last 2 years with the price of oil so spending the money to get a proper post just ain't gonna happen. Hell I'm lucky to get 35 hours right now.

1 hour ago, slyym said:

Oh I'm good. I've been programming for about 22 years now. Getting things pieced together because a cheap boss wont buy the proper post is my specialty, Lol! Unfortunately in Houston right now shops like the one I'm at and the one that is asking me for help have been hit pretty hard the last 2 years with the price of oil so spending the money to get a proper post just ain't gonna happen. Hell I'm lucky to get 35 hours right now.

Well that being the case, my class would show you how to configure the post to output 5X Code, for that kinematic configuration, and will show you *where* in the post to make the proper edits. If you want to hack it, you can do it with the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post, and a 2X Lathe Post for the Turning stuff...

2 minutes ago, slyym said:

1 last question Colin. Is there going to be an issue taking your course with me still being on X7?

There should not be an issue with that. The Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post has remained virtually identical to the V9 version. They made a few adjustments "under the hood" in the PSB over the years, but the stuff we are learning is backwards compatible for the whole "X series" of software.

Hey Colin. I asked this over at eApprentice.net last week but nobody has gotten back to me. I also tried to PM this to you but looks like you cant get PM's or something. Would it be possible to pay for you course in 2 payments of $250 on the 3rd and and 17th? I really would like to take this course but this might be the only way I can make it happen.  Anyways let me know. Thanks!

13 hours ago, slyym said:

Hey Colin. I asked this over at eApprentice.net last week but nobody has gotten back to me. I also tried to PM this to you but looks like you cant get PM's or something. Would it be possible to pay for you course in 2 payments of $250 on the 3rd and and 17th? I really would like to take this course but this might be the only way I can make it happen.  Anyways let me know. Thanks!

Hi, sorry, I haven't been ignoring the question, just trying to make sure I give you the correct answer.

I'd have no issue with you making two payments to attend the course. The issue currently is that we've only got 3 students signed up and paid. We normally have a goal of signing up at least 10 students before we run the class. I think August is just a bad month for vacations for a lot of people. I'm considering delaying the course until September, or even October to ensure we get enough students to run the course. We're doing some advertising to see if we can generate some more sign-ups. I'll give it another week, and make the decision at the beginning of August on whether to hold class or postpone it a month. I really would rather not postpone, if at all possible, but the economics of running a small class don't pencil out. For me, it isn't about the money. The question for me is "is the extra money worth not spending time with my wife"? Unfortunately my wife has Multiple Sclerosis, which is a progressive disease. Eventually, she won't be able to walk anymore. I used to think that day would be far away, but as her mobility has gotten worse, I've learned just how precious my time with her is.

• Like 2

Colin, is there a certain level of post editing that you would want someone to be at before taking your course?  I haven't done much post editing and I just wouldn't want to waist everyone's time with basic questions that I should know before hand.  Is the class going to be recorded for reference if we want to go look back at it in the future?

7 minutes ago, heavychevy2155 said:

Colin, is there a certain level of post editing that you would want someone to be at before taking your course?  I haven't done much post editing and I just wouldn't want to waist everyone's time with basic questions that I should know before hand.  Is the class going to be recorded for reference if we want to go look back at it in the future?

Hi Ricky,

Normally I recommend that students without much experience take the Basic Post Processing course first, as that is my "introduction" course that explains all the fundamentals of editing posts and the MP Language. I think you'd probably be OK taking the 5 Axis post course, as this class deals mainly with making "configuration" edits to the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post. I show you how to setup the switches (variable settings) for different machine types, and show you how to control the post output using the Miscellaneous Integers and Real Numbers. At the end of the class we will get into Vector and Matrix math functions.

We do record the sessions, and include 2 months of access to the recorded material with the initial course fee. If you want continued access to the recordings, then there are options for a monthly or yearly subscription to get access to the recorded videos. (The subscription actually gives you access to all the recorded material on the website, not just this class...)