Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Standing vs Sitting Desk

Mick

Triple post Aaron? :)

Thanks for all the input everyone. It seems to me that a mixture of sitting and standing makes a lot of sense. Our local supplier has a suitable electric sitting/standing desk, so I think I'll plonk for one of them.

I'll provide some feedback when it happens :)

• 3 months later...

For those who are interested, Costco is having a sale on a Tresanti Power Height-Adjustable Tech Desk from Nov. 9th to the 17th.  Regularly $299.99. now $199.99

There are some reviews on YouTube.

Weight limit is 100 pounds.

4 preprogrammed heights (re-programmable)

I bought one for my home office.  It is very stout.

Bring a friend when you pick it up, the box weighs 106 pounds.

I haven't figured out how to get all 6 monitors on it yet.

It isn't as deep as my old desk.  Before, I was 30 inches from the screens, now about 20.  I might have to change my eyeglass prescription.

IMG_1502.JPG

I ended up getting the sitting/standing desk. Electric powered, and it takes around 15 seconds to go from one height to the other.

I tend to sit more than I stand, but it makes a good change during the course of the day to switch between both. I really see no disadvantage to standing, other than having to bend down to get something out of the drawers :)

13 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Is it built such that one could replace the top?  I'm thinking that would be nice, but I'd use the corner-desk top I'm currently using.  I'd also want to get rid of that cross beam that's right where my feet would want to go.

No, the top would not be easily removable and the lower cross beam is welded in place.

The controls are built into the glass top.

Amazon sells just the base of the Desk that Ron linked to above, then you could mount your old desktop to it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K606UO8/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w

So unless I missed something in this thread, nobody has mentioned footwear.  I know from experience good footwear makes all the difference in the world for standing comfortably.  Does anyone have a preference of what shoes to wear when using a standing desk?  I guess someday I will have to try a standing desk, but would like to know if anyone has noticed some footwear is better suited for it or not. 

Now, what I really need is a mobile standing/sitting command center for out in the shop during proveouts.  Standing for quick changes, sitting for more in depth changes or coffee break and forum time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

So unless I missed something in this thread, nobody has mentioned footwear.  I know from experience good footwear makes all the difference in the world for standing comfortably.  Does anyone have a preference of what shoes to wear when using a standing desk?  I guess someday I will have to try a standing desk, but would like to know if anyone has noticed some footwear is better suited for it or not. 

Now, what I really need is a mobile standing/sitting command center for out in the shop during proveouts.  Standing for quick changes, sitting for more in depth changes or coffee break and forum time.

Oh yes very important. I use my good shoes when doing it.

21 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Not to derail this...  But what would you consider good shoes?

good shoes are a problem

I always liked the post office approved work shoes from Red Wing, but they cannot stand up to the

chips on the floor here.

My last pair didn't last 4 months before chips had ruined them

1 hour ago, gcode said:

My last pair didn't last 4 months before chips had ruined them

When I was on the shop floor everyday doing CI and training activities in the machining centers, I would waste a pair of boots every three months.  Between coolant, and large steel 6's and 9's there wasn't a shoe out there that wasn't super slippery that would hold up.  Being large format machines there was no avoiding walking on chips and coolant.  Thankfully being PPE, you just had to go to HR and request a voucher for new shoes when yours were worn out.  I used to have two pair in rotation so they would dry out, and break in wasn't as big a deal.

Being in a wood shop at the moment, the biggest thing that kills shoes is my weight....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Thee Byte™ said:

I've been wanting to get something like this.

Too much sitting around isn't great..

Standing desk? Or the super monster laydown desk?

We have sit/stand combo desks in my office. I like them alot...programmable and all. I lately its been 75% sitting cuz winter IDK, im lazy. But its really nice to have to run to the machine and back to my desk and not sit down for a quick CAM change or something.

27 minutes ago, Metallic said:

Standing desk? Or the super monster laydown desk?

😂

No the standing one.

28 minutes ago, Metallic said:

We have sit/stand combo desks in my office. I like them alot...programmable and all. I lately its been 75% sitting cuz winter IDK, im lazy. But its really nice to have to run to the machine and back to my desk and not sit down for a quick CAM change or something.

I don't go around the cutroom anymore because of covid, I would still like to stand at my desk tho..

That's really cool of your work to get that for you!