Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Standing vs Sitting Desk

Mick

Ok, so I'm not sure where this would go, so please don't flame my poison ivy a** :)

I'm curious who here uses a standing vs sitting desk. Or a desk that does both. I've read all sides of the stories, and I'm keen to see some kind of feedback here.

I'm about to fit out a new office, and I have to start sorting furniture :)

2 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

I want a dual one. Where I can stand and sit as I want. Maybe the President of the company will allow for this to happen. :sofa:

same

I like the idea of the sit stand alternating. They even make apps or desktop widgits that remind you to change position. I'm defiantly going with the 1 touch preprogrammed setup once I pull the trigger.

Yes, I'm leaning (no pun intended) to an adjustable desk, one that electrically raises and lowers, so I can vary the position during the day.

The general consensus seems to be one of sitting and standing variably.

There are a half dozen people at my place with these desks

When they first got these desks, they were alternately sitting or standing.

6 months in, everybody's sitting

I think they are probably a big waste of money for most people

• Like 1

Back in 2005 I had colleagues in our headquarters in Germany with electrical, adjustable desks. It's a common place in Europe, but perceived as fussy in most companies in the Americas. 

I visited Cimco's office long time ago... All developers had these desks... 

I personally would like to have a choice... 

• Like 1

As mentioned, we have them here at the office.  

When I was in apps, it wouldn't have been worth my time since I was rarely at the computer for more than a few hours.  Now that I'm a desk pilot, it's awesome.  I'd guess that at any given time ~50% of the people here are standing, or kneeling on their chair, etc.  I generally stand for half of the morning and afternoon.    Plus, if I notice myself with bad posture (slouching), I'll raise the desk up so I have to look up more. 

They're also great for collaboration, since everyone can just stand near your monitor instead of crouching down. 

The brand of mine here is "Workrite."   I'd definitely spring for one at home, and it looks like you can get just the powered legs and screw them on to generic desk surfaces available locally.

• Like 1

My desk is sit only, but I did get the boss to purchase a good chair which helps a lot.  Since I still work in the plant some, I'm usually not sitting all day.  When occasional programming demands keep me desk bound all day, I really have to remind myself to get up and move around periodically.

This is certainly an interesting topic.  I never understood the importance of a good chair until I had a herman miller.  You can sit in them things for 12-16 hours a day and not ache at all....   When I moved to my current job, I just bought one myself and had it shipped to the office.  I wasn't even going to ask the boss man to pay a grand for a chair.

One of the guys here made himself a "portable" stand desk.  He made it so he could change the height a few people in the office have used it and seemed to like it.  I think I'm going to attempt to make something myself when I get time.  Since I sit either in my car for most of the day or at a desk for most of the day I think it would be beneficial to be able to stand for part of the day.   Let me see if I can take a picture of it and put it up here.  Perhaps it will inspire someone here to improve on his design.  

Okay I cant take a picture as he is currently in his office in a meeting.  He used threaded pipe similar to the picture below and then made 2 platforms.  The platform sits on top of his desk so if he wants to sit he can remove the his sit stand desk.  One of the platforms is to rest his laptop on and one is for his keyboard & monitor mount to sit on.  The threaded pipe allows it to be adjusted to different heights.

threaded pipe.jpg

14 minutes ago, Zoffen said:

Still waiting for my boss to buy me this.......

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mwelab-emperor-1510-gaming-workstation-chair-white-gc-000-mw.html

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

But for cereal a motorized standing/sitting desk is in my future! Sitting is so bad for you i'm surprised they haven't tried to tax it yet!!!

You are you own boss now a days so save up and get you one. B);)

I have a Varidesk that can switch between sit/stand, but I never put it down. I don't even have a chair anymore. I haven't "sat" at my workstation in probably 2 years. I do so much walking back and forth to check on things that sitting down would be impractical.

I'm also 6'2" and standard desk height at 29" plus this thing rising roughly 16" wasn't enough for me so I had to build some 6" risers.

A bunch of people have them here and they alternate pretty frequently between sitting and standing. At 35, I'm one of the youngest people in management here so standing doesn't bother me as much--my beer belly is still a work in progress and doesn't affect me yet.

The key is finding comfortable shoes and a good mat.

4 hours ago, The Cathedral said:

At 35, I'm one of the youngest people in management here so standing doesn't bother me as much--my beer belly is still a work in progress and doesn't affect me yet.

Keep working on it. You have time on your side...

:D

• Like 1

I have an Areon chair (Herman Miller) here at work. The front edge of the chair has padding and I mostly sit in it like Lisa Simpson's chair (don't know the name). This posture keeps my back straight naturally and doesn't cut off the blood supply to my legs. I've looked at Varidesk but it appears they have nothing that will fit four monitors.

1 hour ago, Tim Johnson said:

I have an Areon chair (Herman Miller) here at work. The front edge of the chair has padding and I mostly sit in it like Lisa Simpson's chair (don't know the name). This posture keeps my back straight naturally and doesn't cut off the blood supply to my legs. I've looked at Varidesk but it appears they have nothing that will fit four monitors.

I have the Pro 48 and it holds 3; you'd have to be creative to get 4 on it.