Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C-Axis Contour using Custom Grinding Wheel

LeechCNC

Hello,

I am programming a part with a face slot and it needs to be done using a grinding wheel.  I understand it's not the traditional way of approach, but there's nothing traditional about machining soft carbide.  Typically, a C-Axis Face Contour would be the go-to operation, but in this case I need the wheel to approach perpendicular to the face.  That said, I select C-Axis Contour to orient my tool correctly.  I created a tool using an endmill and defined it to replicate my grinding wheel.  The problem is that Mastercam, by default, wants to utilize Rotary Axis Substitution. Also, my depth of cut and such seem to be driven from the O.D. of the part when it's the face that I need identified as "Top of Stock".  I also seem to be unable to adjust my Planes to orient my tool.  Any help in getting the wheel to approach correctly would be appreciated.  I attached a screenshot of the part and tool.

C-Axis Face Slot.JPG

Grind Wheel.JPG

14 hours ago, LeechCNC said:

The problem is that Mastercam, by default, wants to utilize Rotary Axis Substitution.

I don't think you need it here but C-axis utility is often a good way of breaking out of axis sub. if you need to. Also look at the rotary axis tab in the parameter tree for other overrides....

Face countour is right. Create the (2d) profile in (Right of) Left Plane. 

Lathe/ Toolpath/ mill

MC should create a plane for you when you Toolpath.

follow the parameters and make sure C axis is on. Like NICKB10 said. Unless you run Y axis, :head scratch: I think is your other option.  

In your plane mgr you (should) see the plane MC created for the toolpath. I wouldn't create a tool. (Sorta pickey how Lathe custom tools need to be. Colors, profiles and such).

use a generic endmill and adjust the diameter for your grinding wheel