Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OptiRest milling start from outside?

FTI2007

On 7/28/2017 at 9:51 AM, George Vassilev said:

rest mill is  usually follows previous operation, but if you want to change it turn off  the stock /rest switch, go to the toolpath control tab change it and then turn on the rest mill under stock

I tried that but as soon as I turn stock back on turn changes it back to inside. 

To get that option to be available you will need to un-select the boundary in the original operation.  The toolpath will still start on the inside of the part though because its a rest mill operation and the tool cleans up stock left my the previous tool/operation.  If you want the tool to plunge outside the boundary you will need to disable the rest mill operation (Stock).  The issue with this is the toolpath will re-cut all the material that was previously removed by the last operation.  

My recommendation would be to make another containment boundary outlining just the area you want to cut and select it with just a opti-rough toolpath (no rest mill operation) then tell the tool to start outside of that containment.  

This toolpath has definitely changed since upgrading from X6 to X9 for me. Even in X6 the system seemed to prefer "inside" but I could usually force it using the techniques above. Now in X9 I cannot force it but if I set up as if  from "outside" I can usually get the toolpath I want despite the greyed out "inside"-

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, George Vassilev said:

rest mill is  usually follows previous operation, but if you want to change it turn off  the stock /rest switch, go to the toolpath control tab change it and then turn on the rest mill under stock

What if you need to start with a forging or casting....?

34 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

This toolpath has definitely changed since upgrading from X6 to X9 for me. Even in X6 the system seemed to prefer "inside" but I could usually force it using the techniques above. Now in X9 I cannot force it but if I set up as if  from "outside" I can usually get the toolpath I want despite the greyed out "inside"-

What if you need to start with a forging or casting....?

Create a stock model and set your "boundary" large enough that the tool has room to work from the outside. 

I still get lots of "quirks" with this tool path but you can get pretty good results if you play around with it enough.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Neurosis said:

Create a stock model and set your "boundary" large enough that the tool has room to work from the outside.

Yeah this seems to be the answer in a lot of cases but not all in my experience, but I totally agree that it is a  "quirky" toolpath, but very useful (getting it to cut to depth for instance , although this can be a boundary issue too).

I would say that it needs "massaging" into submission, rather than the brute force you can use on other toolpaths. Sometimes I also get good results with a "ram save" or even a computer restart.......