Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis help using a trunnion

Jeff2005

There is really nothing wrong with making A parallel to the Y axis.

In this case it makes perfect sense.

Mastercam can handle it with ease, it's just a matter of getting the post dialed in,

the machine parameters set up and your programmers used to an unconventional setup 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, gcode said:

In this case it makes perfect sense.

Mastercam can handle it with ease, it's just a matter of getting the post dialed in,

the machine parameters set up and your programmers used to an unconventional setup 

How many unconventional things have we done in our programming life?

• Like 1

I hear you guys, but again we were green coming into this and relying on people that obviously didn't know we needed to know detailed information instead of used car information.  No offense to used car salesman, but it is what it is.  I agree totally with standardization. 

We have success thanks to Tim Scott of postibillity .  We are still working on some kinks but on the right track.  He looked at all of my MD, CD, POST from his end and we are not getting the same code.  Mine was starting at C90 (in 4 axis) and his was starting at C-90. His code was what i wanted but i can't match it even now.  He will look on my computer to check any other differences there might be that we missed.

thanks for all the help, and continued help. Y'all are the best.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Jeff2005 said:

I hear you guys, but again we were green coming into this and relying on people that obviously didn't know we needed to know detailed information instead of used car information.  No offense to used car salesman, but it is what it is.  I agree totally with standardization. 

We have success thanks to Tim Scott of postibillity .  We are still working on some kinks but on the right track.  He looked at all of my MD, CD, POST from his end and we are not getting the same code.  Mine was starting at C90 (in 4 axis) and his was starting at C-90. His code was what i wanted but i can't match it even now.  He will look on my computer to check any other differences there might be that we missed.

thanks for all the help, and continued help. Y'all are the best.

You're in good hands with Postability. Dave and his team rock :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gcode said:

Except for the fact that in the reputable machine tool world A is Parallel to X. I mean, technically, it's just an axis address and if you swap B for A it's of no real life altering consequence... except when you call for support and say "...my A axis is doing this move..." so someone like myself has a motion in mind and it's 90deg. off from reality and it's doing that other move instead.

To a post, it's just a letter and either a primary or secondary rotary axis. 

But still... XYZ, ABC, IJK, UVW

:coffee:

This trunnion is standalone so it can be mounted on machines where the "A" rotates around the X or Y depending on how it is physically bolted to the table. Smaller Trunnions, where it maybe switched back and forth I usually don't sweat it. 

^^^ unless it's a Haas.

They fixed the A/B assignment issue in 2015 on their standalone trunnions. Now you have to have it defined correctly when using TCPC/DWO. 

15 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Except for the fact that in the reputable machine tool world A is Parallel to X. I mean, technically, it's just an axis address and if you swap B for A it's of no real life altering consequence... except when you call for support and say "...my A axis is doing this move..." so someone like myself has a motion in mind and it's 90deg. off from reality and it's doing that other move instead.

To a post, it's just a letter and either a primary or secondary rotary axis. 

But still... XYZ, ABC, IJK, UVW

This is how our Koma is mounted on our Okuma. 

had to get In-House to change the axes around, but it's working good now.

20170630_151814.jpg

3 minutes ago, JParis said:

Gotcha!

Actually, I should say that I realize that NOW, but this is my 1st foray into the 5 axis world and I'm playing it by ear. Gosiger asked me when setting it up what axes I wanted them to be,and I assumed A and B were correct. My original post from In-House was setup for B and C.

7 hours ago, jeff said:

Actually, I should say that I realize that NOW, but this is my 1st foray into the 5 axis world and I'm playing it by ear. Gosiger asked me when setting it up what axes I wanted them to be,and I assumed A and B were correct. My original post from In-House was setup for B and C.

Which was correct. Now, not so much. 

Kinda has me thinking, if it were a FANUC machine, what would I have to do to make sure the 5-AXis functions would work correctly. :X:blink:

40 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Kinda has me thinking, if it were a FANUC machine, what would I have to do to make sure the 5-AXis functions would work correctly. :X:blink:

Reassign the axis names properly to convention...  Then make sure 19680-19689 are setup correctly (pretty straightforward).    Beyond that, not sure if there is anything else pertinent other than kinematic offsets.

• Like 1

But overall it doesn't really matter what the axis name is on a fanuc, it more really matters what axis number is assigned to which direction in the 5 ax parameters.  Heck as long as the axis numbers and kinematics were setup, you could change the axis address name to anything valid and it wouldn't effect function as long as you use the new name.

1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Which was correct. Now, not so much. 

In times like these we miss our friend Tim who would give us the final word... 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Reassign the axis names properly to convention...  Then make sure 19680-19689 are setup correctly (pretty straightforward).    Beyond that, not sure if there is anything else pertinent other than kinematic offsets.

19700-19710 parameters and some more come to mind. Then you have to see about the ones that define the internal kinematics depending on the builder realted to the tool eyes, probing and how the Axis were implemented internally with the options they have decided to support. I just spent 8 months helping a MTB and a Major Well known Corporation who sends stuff in the far blue yonder sort a lot of this stuff out. I really missed my friend Tim to ask, but I did have conversations with Foghorn and Mr. Wakeford. That lead to 10 other conversations and other things, but the customer is finally using half of their machines with TCP and Dynamic work planes. Even helped in some conversations with CGTech get the simulation correct on said machines not that I had all that much input more of a sounding board. When I get some free time I will go in and train the rest of the programmers, setup people and operators on how to implement that on the other equipment.

33 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Agreed he is missed.

2 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Reassign the axis names properly to convention...  Then make sure 19700-19705 are setup correctly (pretty straightforward). ...

Trunion type machine fiss...

2 hours ago, Watcher said:

Aint that the truth. Right now, Tim and I would be having a great chuckle about a couple of things that have occurred. It is in threads like this, and times like this, that I really miss his input.