Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Offset boring head recomendation?

We are using Romicron here. The thing I like about them is there is no gib lock due to the design. In my experience most boring heads get messed up because the operator forgets the lock when adjusting, the lock plate gets scored and then it is all over, so for shops without a high skill level they are great. They are a bit bulky too, but they come with built in balancing rings.

My other choice which I ran for years is Wahlhaupter (sp?). very accurate and more compact than the Romicron but they do have the normal gib lock. As long as you don't have a bunch of inexperienced machinists using them they are very nice.

I have also used Big Kaiser, as with all their stuff it is excellent quality. Similar to Walhaupter and of course (as with all Big Kaiser) they come plus head ready. In fact I think they are the only ones you can use in Mori + heads without voiding the warranty.

They are all equally accurate in adjustment and performance. Check them all and choose which suits you best for size range etc.....they are all in the $2K bracket by the time you get all the accessories.

On 03/08/2017 at 4:19 PM, GoetzInd said:

Romicron is the ultimate for super accurate boring. That being said they cost a small fortune. My second choice would be Kaiser. Then Komet. A cheap criterion would be my last resort.

Mike

Glad to hear you like it. It´s one of the few 100% Brazilian products in the machining world that make us very proud. I don´t know if yours was made here, but I can tell they built an world class facility to manufacture those heads. It´s indeed state of the art technology in bore machining.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...