Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Collision Detection

drafting3

Hi guys. So, one of the things (very few things) that I loved about Powermill was it's gouge and collision detection. It was bulletproof.

I never did much of that with Mastercam, or certainly not to the same extent I did with Powermill.

tried doing a verification of a toolpath with MC and turned on collision detection (or at least I thought I did). I didn't get any errors, but the tool obviously rapid traveled through the part and block (retract set to incremental instead of absolute). I caught it, but I was a few moments away from running the toolpath.

Am I missing a setting or option somewhere? Can someone walk me through the process of collision/gouge checking?

Yeah. I thought I did. I had operation change and collision checked. Collision detection set to everything. work piece turned on. One thing that surprised me was the block didn't have those big red streaks in it from being hit by the holder/shank.

1 hour ago, kostiuk said:

I may be wrong but I was told by our re-seller that Mastercam does not know what is happening during a rapid move so it will not know if there is a collision or not.

Kevin K.

That is a sorely over simplified explanation of the issue.

If your tool is picking up and rapid traveling through a wall it will see it.

1qWyCUN.png

Edited by Neurosis
added image
  • Like 1

But if you are in a feed move and have selected a solid it will not plow through it but a rapid will, is what I was trying to say. Rapid moves are not solid aware but feed moves are. Is this correct?

I see what you mean, it should stop in verify.

Kevin K.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:25 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

In your Operations Manager, next to the "G1" button, there is a "setup backplot and verify" button. It is just to the left of the "G1" button.

That opens a Dialog Box that allows you to "enable the Fixture" checkbox, and choose either a Level or a Solid for your Fixture item.

Thanks. I enabled the fixture and selected the solid. I still do not get any errors when I gouge the model in simulation. I have to be missing a step.

So, I asked our lead programmer about this and he seemed surprised that I was having trouble. He made a toolpath that collided with 100% of his model, both feed and rapid moves. When he did a simulation, there were no warnings, errors, or even red coloring to indicate a collision. He tried setting the model as a fixture, and still nothing. He could swear Mastercam used to collision check vs models.

Collision vs models is working for everyone else but us? Can someone try it and post a screenshot? I fee like I'm flying blind without any software driven collision checking.

Works as it should here, you can see it ripped across the stock on the front face 

eXuVLhL.png

VR9P6W9.png?1

The fixtures are brought in as fixtures, the stock as an stl file

Edited by Guest
16 hours ago, drafting3 said:

So, I asked our lead programmer about this and he seemed surprised that I was having trouble. He made a toolpath that collided with 100% of his model, both feed and rapid moves. When he did a simulation, there were no warnings, errors, or even red coloring to indicate a collision. He tried setting the model as a fixture, and still nothing. He could swear Mastercam used to collision check vs models.

Collision vs models is working for everyone else but us? Can someone try it and post a screenshot? I fee like I'm flying blind without any software driven collision checking.

So I had this problem once as well, but only once. I had this part and it was a screw up on my end that it even happened. I had run verify on it and didn't show a red streak or anything or shown the gouge that eventually was put into the part. That made me pretty wary of trusting verification after that, considering I was just using an endmill. If that happened at 3500mm/s with my high feed cutter  I'd have been right pi$$ed. Moral of my story, check and recheck, then check again. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, JParis said:

Works as it should here, you can see it ripped across the stock on the front face 

eXuVLhL.png

VR9P6W9.png?1

The fixtures are brought in as fixtures, the stock as an stl file

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:30 PM, jlw™ said:

Capture.png

Damn it. The admins have about 2/3 of all domains blocked at this PC. I can't see any of these pics.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...