Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Threadmill Without Pilot Hole

Found it! Now the question is do you guys think a M5 * 0.8 would create a 10-32 STI? The STI tap is .233" major diameter, and minor is .201". So .016" thread height, and .03125" pitch. The M5 tap would be .198" major, and .165" minor. So .0165" thread height, and .03149" pitch.

http://www.tgs.cz/content/fck/files/katalogy/EDT-eBook.pdf

http://www.westtool.com/default.aspx?page=item detail&itemcode=HIT+897591#tab-1

• 1 month later...

Got it! Mitsubishi owns the Hitachi product line now. This is an Epoch threadmill designed for M5 * 0.8, but I'm using it for a 10-32 STI, .500" deep in Ti6al4v. Cost was well under $200. I wanted to do some sample holes to see how it holds up before we revamp our process. I got thru 100 holes before the boss said to stop screwing around.

114SFM, .0007"CPT, 2.5 minutes/hole.

pQZikQW.jpgILNLRXG.jpgvbBgLsI.jpg

• Like 5
5 hours ago, jeff said:

2-1/2 minutes per hole for a #10-32?

I almost never work with titanium, but that can't be faster than drilling and tapping/threadmilling. Can it?

These aren't really high volume type tools. Drilling and tapping, or even drilling and threadmilling with a multiform threadmill would be much faster. But these tools have two huge benefits for certain applications:

1. It's one tool that can do the job of 3 (drill, tap, chamfer tool), there by saving programming time, and spots in the tool changer.

2. Ability to easily make threads in hard materials, angled surfaces etc.

In one video they are making threads in 65rc material. I usually have to edm that, sometimes I threadmill it.

If you are doing high value work, it might also make sense because less tools = less chance for things to go sideways. That is the reason I only threadmill on high value parts, the time it takes to remove a tap or re work parts ranging from $500-50,000 is never worth saving the couple minutes of time between taping and threadmilling.

• Like 4