Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Current best computer choices for Mastercam

medaq

23 minutes ago, Festus said:

Just tested a file where my post file ended up being 65.8mb, 1,816,625 lines of code. It took 10 minutes locally and 10 minutes to my server. No noticeable difference? 

Well what did you post to have 2-3 hour post times? Could be network traffic? today on a Saturday is lighter than the rest of the week?

2 hours ago, medaq said:

Well what did you post to have 2-3 hour post times? Could be network traffic? today on a Saturday is lighter than the rest of the week?

that's not likely. I only have 2 other employees that use the server and that's sporadic. When I post large size molds, marine parts or front and rear caps for buses it almost seems that when the file gets to a certain size it really bogs down. Hypothetically a file with a 120mb post should take 20 minutes then, but it may take 40. That's  not verified, just me thinking out loud! but it seems like the system stalls for larger files? maybe just my imagination and impatience!?

heat from one component can affect other components as well

I know people who think the Quadro 4000 is a terrible video card and have nothing but trouble with it.

We are running a half dozen of them here.. in machines with liquid cooled processors with no trouble at all.

We did have 2 machines with fan cooling and Quadro 4000's both of which failed.

I'm thinking the cooler temperatures inside our cases prevent  trouble with the Q4000

• Like 2
On 8/16/2017 at 7:40 PM, C^Millman said:

Here is something I threw together I would like to build and see how it performs on some of the things I am doing right now. Notice I went with the P4000 Had I got to the P6000 it would have been a lot more money. I would try to OC it to 5.0 ghz and see what it does and how long it can handle that amount of OC. If I had to replace a Processor every 6 months but got 30% to 40% reduction on Calculation times they paid for themselves the 1st month. Yes that much memory is not allowed on Windows 7 Pro, but I might run a dual boot with Win 10 and Win 7 and see how much difference it makes using 2 1TD drive keeping the OS on each one separate. I would also never put it on the internet.

DEEPCOOL GENOME II The Upgraded worldwide first unique gaming case with integrated 360mm liquid cooling system Black case with Green helix
Item #: 11-853-046

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand DPS G RGB Titanium PS-TPG-1000DPCTUS-T 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: 17-153-302

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700) Intel X299 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3466C16Q2-128GTZR
Item #: 20-232-578

ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: 13-132-990

Intel Core i7-7740X Quad-Core 4.3 GHz LGA 2066 112W BX80677I77740X Desktop Processor
Item #: 19-117-792

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Item #: 32-416-804

PNY Quadro P4000 NVIDIA Quadro P4000 8GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Full Height Video Cards - Workstation
Item #: 14-133-643

SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6P1T0BW
Item #: 20-147-597

For those that are interested. I had this configuration Quoted to be built from my trusty computer dealer.  Said 128 gig was not ok, so he quoted 64 gigs. And the price is coming in about $4,000 with taxes. LIttle better than i thought it was going to come in at. 

10 hours ago, medaq said:

For those that are interested. I had this configuration Quoted to be built from my trusty computer dealer.  Said 128 gig was not ok, so he quoted 64 gigs. And the price is coming in about $4,000 with taxes. LIttle better than i thought it was going to come in at.

They were correct on a Win 7, but on a Win 10 the 128gb would be okay. I was thinking down the road for a dual boot system. Not a big deal please let us know how this preforms. ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, mike93 said:

Ron we built that exact computer it is fast but not a lot faster then My I74790 with K2000 @4.00? we will have to do some time checks next week.

Hum that is not good to hear since I seen noticeable results between a Xeon and my I-7 6920. I am talking about extreme stock models over 100 mb and such on anything under 20mb I wouldn't expects to see much changes, but on HST toolpaths that take hours to process I would like to see what the system does on something like that.

Keep us posted this is good information for everyone thanks for coming back to the thread.

3 hours ago, jfranya said:

Orbital Computers...Anyone hear of this company? The link is for a system I configured on their site with monitors included for around $5200. I would like your feedback please. TIA

https://orbitalcomputers.com/configured.php?id=39&conf_id=16076

Don't go with the EVO SSD go with the if you want to go cheaper PRO SSD drives, but I would choose the M.2 PCI-e with 3500/mb over either choice. Yes more money, but better performance and speed out of the SSD choices listed.

I would also bit the bullet for the 128GB of RAM.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

I'm using two of the the 950 Pro; they're great.  Also get three monitors.  Two monitors is so last decade.  One for email, prints, etc., one for the Mastercam graphics window, one for the ops manager and level manager.

Pfft. Just go with ultra wides. 

Yes the Evo Pro's are great. I have two sets both running RAID 1, one on each of my computers. Haven't had a single issue. Whatever you end up with I would make sure to run a set in RAID 1 for redundancy. I had two drives fail on me about a month apart before switching to the EVO pros and having it mirrored saved me having to reinstall all my software.

3 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

I'm using two of the the 950 Pro; they're great.  Also get three monitors.  Two monitors is so last decade.  One for email, prints, etc., one for the Mastercam graphics window, one for the ops manager and level manager.

Actually you need 4! You forgot to add another monitor that is solely dedicated to emastercam all the time!

• Like 2

Okay, we're specing out a new box for me here and I'm tying to get an understanding of what performance benchmarks I should be looking at. The toolpaths that take the longest to process for me are generally the single thread 5X toolpaths. But I also use a lot of  dynamic paths and stock models, so I also need multi-threading performance.

I can easily enough find the best performers in the single thread cata gory, but I'm not sure how to find benchmarks for multi-threading performance.

3 hours ago, Mic said:

Is there a common benchmark test we could use for comparision?

I just got a nice new rig:-) Intel Core i7-7820X ( 8 cores x 3.6GHz ), 64GB memory, 500GB Samsung 960 Evo and Quadro P4000

Wasn't CNC supposed to do a test between new AMD and new Intel processors?

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, adlice said:

For the current Mastercam, is there a laptop under $500?

You can get refurbished Dell Precision laptops from Newegg for this kind of money ($500 -750)

My employer bought a half dozen of them from  Newegg for the welding and fab guys to view models with.

The technology was 2 or 3 years old, but all of them were in good condition and all of them are still running

2 years later. 

Some of these machines were $3K+ new

We did have to exchange one because the keyboard and Windows were in Chinese, but Newegg replaced it with no trouble.