Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to mastercam pls help

JGutierrez

10 hours ago, JGutierrez said:

I'm trying to learn programming anyone have  a mastercam book for 2017 or video or something that can help ? 

Hello,

At eMastercam.com we have a wide variety of training materials and options to choose from. We have printed books to choose from here: https://www.emastercam.com/store/category/216-mastercam-2017/

If you like video learning we have the Mastercam 2017 Video Training Series here: https://www.emastercam.com/store/product/1225-mastercam-2017-video-training-series/

The video training series covers 2D and 3D mill, multiaxis mill, and Lathe. All of the videos + the Mastercam 2017 demo software are shipped on a single USB memory stick, no need for an internet connection and it doesn't require a DVD drive, which we know many new computers don't come with.

Finally, if you like web-based videos and eBooks we offer a sitewide subscription here https://www.emastercam.com/store/product/1184-emastercam-sitewide-subscription/ that gives you access to all of our eBooks and streaming video courses right in your browser. You can pay for 1 month of access for $39.99USD, 4 months for $129.99USD, or a year for $359.99USD. You are able to read every eBooks and watch every video for as long as your subscription is valid. At the end of the time period the website will ask if you'd like to renew but you will not be automatically charged.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

• Like 3

Hi!

The Site Wide subscription is really good, it will give you access to both books and training videos, I would recommend that for you. I have used mastercam since 2012 now and now when seeing the videos still learning new easier things I wish I had known from the start!

the ebooks are also full of different learning, and if you spread the subscription over some months you can really learn a lot of it!

anyway, hope you find the right solution for your needs.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, JGutierrez said:

Which one worked better for u and how long did it take u learn  ? 

I am self taught and never used any book to learn Mastercam. Been at it for 17 years so maybe one day I will learn enough to know what I am doing. I did take Machine Shop back in Trade school late 80's. Programmed CNC machines without ever having one to prove out our work on in school. I did have some of mine run in a local shop to make parts and got an A for my work. Then got out and just started learning and learning and still learning. Everyday is a school day how long have you been a machinist? How many different machines have your cranked handles on? How many different manufactures tooling books have your looked at and learned about their recommend speeds and feeds on tools? Do you know the difference between shrink fit, slimline collets, ER-8 to ER-40 collets? Know the tap drill like the back of your hand? What types of fixture holding concepts have you studied? Do you like dovetail, Zero-Point or just jaws? What do you do for a part that requires Vacuum fixtures?

Learning Mastercam is one part of this journey and hopefully all the other things I just mentioned are being looked at also. Best of luck, but if someone who just barely graduated High-School (raises hand) can earn a living doing this then just about anyone else should also.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

I am self taught and never used any book to learn Mastercam. Been at it for 17 years so maybe one day I will learn enough to know what I am doing. I did take Machine Shop back in Trade school late 80's. Programmed CNC machines without ever having one to prove out our work on in school. I did have some of mine run in a local shop to make parts and got an A for my work. Then got out and just started learning and learning and still learning. Everyday is a school day how long have you been a machinist? How many different machines have your cranked handles on? How many different manufactures tooling books have your looked at and learned about their recommend speeds and feeds on tools? Do you know the difference between shrink fit, slimline collets, ER-8 to ER-40 collets? Know the tap drill like the back of your hand? What types of fixture holding concepts have you studied? Do you like dovetail, Zero-Point or just jaws? What do you do for a part that requires Vacuum fixtures?

Learning Mastercam is one part of this journey and hopefully all the other things I just mentioned are being looked at also. Best of luck, but if someone who just barely graduated High-School (raises hand) can earn a living doing this then just about anyone else should also.

I have been a machinist for 16yrs I think it's time to move up I worked on all kinds of machines 3,4 and 5 Axis machines  vertical horizontal , boring mills used all  types of holders  shrink fit , ER16,ER32 etc. have used  vacuum fixtures also. do my own edits on the fly here at the shop just think it's time for the next step that's why I'm looking to program now 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JGutierrez said:

I have been a machinist for 16yrs I think it's time to move up I worked on all kinds of machines 3,4 and 5 Axis machines  vertical horizontal , boring mills used all  types of holders  shrink fit , ER16,ER32 etc. have used  vacuum fixtures also. do my own edits on the fly here at the shop just think it's time for the next step that's why I'm looking to program now 

Excellent decision. Get the HLE and you can get started right away on doing things. A paid subscription to this or other places will get you that also. You have any question please let us know and someone should be able to help you get moving in the direction you seek. Gives me a little hope.

All of the training material on this site is excellent. The videos are a great deal, if you can watch and learn from that medium. I know some old-timers that would insist on having a printed book, and Emastercam has those available too. I think you'll find a great deal of knowledge in their content, and when you grow beyond it, or have a question that comes up that isn't covered in video or written material, then that's what these discussion forums are for.

Many of us programmers that have been around Emc for a while have learned a lot of what we know by asking and answering people's questions over the years. Welcome to the forum.

-Colin

• Like 3
On 8/21/2017 at 4:19 PM, C^Millman said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Truest words ever.

On 8/21/2017 at 4:53 PM, JGutierrez said:

You will be a great fit. Sounds alot like my journey to where Im at today. Good luck with your endeavors.

A local community college is a very good place to start.

I took 3 semesters of V5 at a local community college, but couldn't talk my partner into buying a seat

so I bought my own copy.

In the end, there is no substitute for seat time.

If your employer will allow it, take the sim home and study at night.

Nothing will motivate you to study more than watching your work become machined parts.

• Like 2