Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Matsuura MX-520 collant issues

Matsuura MX-520 coolant issues, we need to run small diameter tooling with tool holders with a short projection and with the coolant nozzle’s pointed up as far as they can go the coolant flow comes up way short of hitting the tool, the reseller just kind of scratches there head and says yep that’s a problem, has anybody else run into this problem and if so what was your solution.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, ujmujm said:

I'm very surprised that we are the first ones to run into this issue.

You are not, that's why these days you should always buy the thru spindle option (in the great scheme of things the extra cost is negligible, especially compared to retro fitting). You can always run a collet holder without a sealing cap and get good coolant pressure along the tool axis. Some  Mikron tools have coolant ports at the TOP of the shank for this purpose and the structural integrity of the tool is maintained (no coolant channels in the flute area). I have also seen tools with axial slots in the shank to achieve the same effect. All the "fixes" for this situation come with downsides.....

1 hour ago, ujmujm said:

We talked about modifying the existing nozzle's and it looks like that's the direction we will have to go which is unfortunate, when you pay that kind of money for a machine tool, I guess we should of bought a Haas.

Why not go make them on a Bridgeport then? Better yet get a file and a hand drill. Sorry, but go back to a HAAS because someone was not thinking correctly on your end and didn't get the machine with the correct options for doing the work you do? Tell you what I will put a $100 bill out there that in 5 years or 10 years the MX-520 will still be cutting good parts day in and day out. You willing to put up the same amount the HAAS will be? Wow is all I can just WOW.

Yes most people do it the right way and get through the spindle coolant for small short projection tools. I would be scratching my head as well since you were allowed to buy the machine without what you needed. I would have rather not sold you a machine since you didn't do it the right way then come back and ask me why your wrong way is not working on this piece of equipment and then blame the equipment for your wrong decision. Why I am not good at sales. I would have said go get your HAAS and let me find a company that wants to invest the right way in moving forward not cheap out, but I am the crazy guy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Robert Ouellette said:

The tsc option comes from the maker. but they buy the collant tanks and pump kits from an American company to save on import and shipping costs. I have one at our shop and that is what they told us. collant tank and pumps from the states costs almost 10k less than having matsuura ship it here with machine.

Okuma does the same thing.

On 21/08/2017 at 9:16 AM, ujmujm said:

We talked about modifying the existing nozzle's and it looks like that's the direction we will have to go which is unfortunate, when you pay that kind of money for a machine tool, I guess we should of bought a Haas.

Well, maybe right now you are unable to differentiate them, so yes, if coolant nozzle is not Ok, the rest doesn't matter much does it?