Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Create edge curve 2018

DavidB

In MC 2018 anyone else noticed you have to be 3D mode to create an edge curve now? If your in 2D mode it will project the curve to your working Z plane.

I've never seen an edge curve before be created anywhere else but on the edge Curve.

1 hour ago, DavidB said:

In MC 2018 anyone else noticed you have to be 3D mode to create an edge curve now? If your in 2D mode it will project the curve to your working Z plane.

I've never seen an edge curve before be created anywhere else but on the edge Curve.

Hadnt noticed that one yet, im sure ill like it that way.

PEACE :D

7 hours ago, DavidB said:

Yup David, new feature.....you can get it on the edge or project it to the Z depth

8 hours ago, DavidB said:

It takes some getting used to but once you do, you'll love it.

We've all spent hours projecting edge curve to a plane, then trimming them, extending them deleting duplicates

looking for overlaps trying to get a clean chainable curve.

In 2018, set construction to 2D, set a depth and start creating edge curves.

The results appear to be self healing.. tight chainable curves,, automatically

Its a huge  time saver when you're building containment boundries

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gcode said:

It takes some getting used to but once you do, you'll love it.

We've all spent hours projecting edge curve to a plane, then trimming them, extending them deleting duplicates

looking for overlaps trying to get a clean chainable curve.

In 2018, set construction to 2D, set a depth and start creating edge curves.

The results appear to be self healing.. tight chainable curves,, automatically

Its a huge  time saver when you're building containment boundries

David I said the same thing originally and still catch myself when in 2018 having to remember the new process. I have a huge part I am finishing up in 2017 Stated back in March. The latest release addresses some of the my issues with 2018 so will be moving over on a new project, but legacy projects will be finished up in 2017.

We're using MC2018 for all new work and have had no issues with it

I'm finishing up a large impeller in MC2018 this week

The file is 750mg now.. 400 operations and it is rock solid.

The new create curve from single edge functionality has saved me hours of drudge work on this part.

10 hours ago, Fred@Slate industries said:

It's a couple more mouse clicks to get your stuff to project to the Z level in your Z const. level box.

you have to go into the project dialogue and then pick an entity 

Not z level set in Const. CLICK ENTITY.

Project click chain , DONE

Boo Hoo lol

Yes I have complained about that also.

15 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Yes I have complained about that also.

Yes back in the day it was a chook called Squash

Then it became a command called Project ... which projected geometry to the 2D construction plane by default with one click <---- perfect

Now it's its a multi click mess  and preview doesn't work.

This function definitely needs a tune up in 2018

The added functionality can be useful, but 99% of the time, I'm projection geometry to the 2D construction plane.

What used to be a one click command , now takes 4 or 5 and you don't know the results till you execute. 

Maybe this should be broken into 2 functions??

a basic project and an advanced project??

Just now, gcode said:

Yes back in the day it was a chook called Squash

Then it became a command called Project ... which projected geometry to the 2D construction plane by default with one click <---- perfect

Now it's its a multi click mess  and preview doesn't work.

This function definitely needs a tune up in 2018

The added functionality can be useful, but 99% of the time, I'm projection geometry to the 2D construction plane.

Maybe this should be broken into 2 functions??

a basic project and and anvced project??

It was a much cleaner function in previous versions. You set your Z height and got your items projects to that Z height and done. Now it is just clunky and changed for change sake. I realize things need to progress forward, but thinking running your car without tires is making a change that will produce good results is about the same as some of the things that have got ported over into the new interface. More clicks, mouse movement and more fatigue is what I am feeling programming parts. Maybe I am just getting old, but I have wore out a mouse with Mastercam 2017 and 2018 in less that one year. I normally only take about 2 to 3 years to wear a mouse out.

My QAC is starting look like wait for it.

Yes you guessed it a toolbar.:sofa:

12 hours ago, Fred@Slate industries said:

While we're at it

You can't pick geo in a command and Slam the enter key on your keyboard in a LOT of stuff in 2018 , you Must mouse up and over to the blue or green buttons and check it.

This is one of my biggest complaints about 2018. Why would they make it so enter, they key we have been using since the dawn of time, no longer works to confirm your selection? What's next, changing the way Esc works?

• Like 1

I do like the new way edge curve works but I loathe and detest the way the enter key no longer works especially on the planes dialogue, I mean I'm keying in info any way.  I'm sure that was an oversight.  if not, some one should not only be fired but tarred, feathered, burnt at the stake and improperly buried.

Ya it seems like alot of our gripes like the enter key not working consistently, the delete key not working as expect, and the tab-order could be solved by a few interns in a few months....any volunteers?

The concept of low hanging fruit should be applied here! I'm mean alot of this stuff is pretty much laying on the ground ready to harvest to the delight of the mastercammmers around the world.

• Like 3