Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Mill tool paths not leaving stock.

Tinger

Hi guys,

I'm overall new to mastercam and i'm having an issue with the dynamic mill toolpath and the rest mill toolpaths in my program. I've typed in .005 stock to leave on the walls but I know for a fact that it isn't leaving any stock. When you analyze the toolpath it shows the cutter right up against the wall, even when I tell it to leave .100 it still doesn't move the toolpath.

What am I doing wrong? ANY help would be much appreciated.

2.50 DIA x 1.375 CARB-FILTER.ZIP

EDIT:  If this is not the correct area on the forums to post questions like this let me know.

12 minutes ago, Tinger said:

Hi guys,

I'm overall new to mastercam and i'm having an issue with the dynamic mill toolpath and the rest mill toolpaths in my program. I've typed in .005 stock to leave on the walls but I know for a fact that it isn't leaving any stock. When you analyze the toolpath it shows the cutter right up against the wall, even when I tell it to leave .100 it still doesn't move the toolpath.

What am I doing wrong? ANY help would be much appreciated.

2.50 DIA x 1.375 CARB-FILTER.ZIP

EDIT:  If this is not the correct area on the forums to post questions like this let me know.

You have checked the numbers and ruled out deflection and machine over travel and all of those factors to know that it is this toolpath that has cut maybe a million parts with no errors it creatign for a fact your error? When you left say .02 and tried cutting the same part what was the results? What was the results when you slowed the toolpath down? I don't have my sim on my internet computer to look at the file, but I have cut 11 million lines of code on 32K surfaces and not had problems like you know for a fact you are seeing so how about someone reviews the file and sees all of the facts that you have not provided like the machine, the holder, the endmill, and may other factors to go into machining and not just the CAM and then we all can see if your facts match reality. Mastercam is for a fact not doing what you need with only .005 of stock left then it needs to be sent to QC and all seats of Mastercam must be recalled right now and everyone using Mastercam should stop all work until the fact of what is going on it cleared up?

Sorry not wearing my sensitively hat today so about about you back up a little bit and gather some more information and see what is going on before you going stating you know for a fact since you are new to Mastercam and can't really know for a fact can you?

I was not aware mastercam simulates deflection and machine over travel. How do i adjust those parameters?

The picture show that i tried to leave .050 stock. The verify window shows this roughing toolpath blending right in to the largest ID diameter....

stock.png

Difficult to tell from information available, but one thing that catches my eye is the 0.06 stepover and 0.0125 min rad. Rule of thumb is 2x stepover for min rad. Normally this doesn't affect verify but spits out code that does not reflect verify, but its worth a quick try. 0.06 stepover and .12 min rad.

26 minutes ago, medaq said:

in the first page under tool path type. Click machining region strategy inside instead of outside.

You are awesome! Thanks, this worked perfectly. My thought process was that the endmill enters the center of the part where there is no material so I thought I engaged material from the outside, I must not understand what exactly those parameters mean. Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, Tinger said:

I was not aware mastercam simulates deflection and machine over travel. How do i adjust those parameters?

The picture show that i tried to leave .050 stock. The verify window shows this roughing toolpath blending right in to the largest ID diameter....

stock.png

It doesn't that is the programmers job to think about all of that and take it into account when programming the job. Learning the tools you have and their proper use and understanding is part of the programmers job also. We are all learning and what we might think are facts are just our opinions some times. Glad you got the answer, but seems what you thought was fact was just an misinformed opinion. Like I said in another thread I came in here thinking I had all the facts and 14 years later I am still learning every day how much there is still to learn in this profession. Hope to see you around more and sort out fact from opinion. Have a good day. :sofa:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

It doesn't that is the programmers job to think about all of that and take it into account when programming the job. Learning the tools you have and their proper use and understanding is part of the programmers job also. We are all learning and what we might think are facts are just our opinions some times. Glad you got the answer, but seems what you thought was fact was just an misinformed opinion. Like I said in another thread I came in here thinking I had all the facts and 14 years later I am still learning every day how much there is still to learn in this profession. Hope to see you around more and sort out fact from opinion. Have a good day. :sofa:

So my program being wrong was my opinion? No that was a fact. My program was IN FACT wrong. I was right about my program being wrong... thats why I  asked the question on the forum in the first place. Mastercam was not leaving stock because I had the wrong parameter selected, mean while you came in here bitching about type of machine, tool deflection, tool holder...(all of which literally have nothing to do with my question but ok...) Why do you bother responding to a question that you get worked up over? Clearly something about my question got your panties in a bunch.

1 hour ago, Tinger said:

So my program being wrong was my opinion? No that was a fact. My program was IN FACT wrong. I was right about my program being wrong... thats why I  asked the question on the forum in the first place. Mastercam was not leaving stock because I had the wrong parameter selected, mean while you came in here bitching about type of machine, tool deflection, tool holder...(all of which literally have nothing to do with my question but ok...) Why do you bother responding to a question that you get worked up over? Clearly something about my question got your panties in a bunch.

I apologize have a good day.

There used to be a really good chaining video tutorial floating around for these paths.  I think that it was an X9 video but it showed a few tricks and helps get an understanding of how the chaining works. I looked for it and couldn't find it.. If I manage to stumble across it I'll post a link to it.