Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mirroring Toolpaths but not getting correct numbers

DCOPE17

I have a long part that takes 2 setups to complete the part. Of this part, I am making a right side and a mirrored left side.

All my toolpaths are written and I machined the first complete part. OP 1 of this first part had a fixture offset X right edge of the part and Y centerline of the part. OP 2 fixture offset of that same part is the center of a hole that is not on the Y centerline. 

When I mirror this for the left hand part, I have no troubles with OP 1, the same fixture offset works. X is the right edge of the part and Y is the center line of the part. 

When I go to mirror OP 2, I cannot get the output numbers correct. I added a simple drill cycle to test my mirror toolpath otherwise the part will be scrapped. ( not what I want to do ) In the original part OP 2, I selected the center of the Fixture Offset hole and when I run the toolpath, the drill goes above the hole and the position in X0. Y0. Exactly where it's supposed to be.

When I mirror this toolpath, ( I have mirrored the gemoetry just for verification purposes ) I get the tool to drill in the correct place of the mirrored geometry, but the coordinates are X0. Y-20.1724. I have tried all kinds of different combinations but have only managed to get it to drill in the original part 1 location and output X0. Y0. but when it goes up and drills the correct location of the mirrored part, I get the X0. Y20.1724

Any help will be appreciated. 

For now, I can just subtract 20.1724 from my FO in the machine and it will run correctly, but I'd like to figure this out so I can do it correctly. 

One of those reasons why I never use the mirror options in transform. Bitten so many times I am really shy about using it. Mirror all your geometry and just copy the operations for the mirror. Re pick what you need like WCS and C-Planes then geometry on the mirror geometry and call it a day. You know what you know when you use the process that control it.

If you are determined to use it then try a couple different options to see what helps you get the correct out. Throw up a sample file and someone will be glad to help point you in the right direction. 

• Like 4

To add to ron's advice you can always have the transform mirror generate new operations then edit those ops to get the output you need on those newly generated ops. This can save you some time or can make more work LOL. Your results may vary but its just another tool in the toolbox and thats what mastercam is all about, a buttload of tools to throw at the problem at hand!

HTH

Thanks for the help. I figured it might be an odd one to solve, 

Since I already have the 20.1724 adjustment to my FO, I'll just keep running it as is and just finish the part.

I guess I have never had this problem since all other parts I have mirrored all ran in one setup with one FO so it just mirrored and off I went. 

Thanks again

Dan

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, Zoffen said:

To add to ron's advice you can always have the transform mirror generate new operations then edit those ops to get the output you need on those newly generated ops.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the ONLY way I ever trust any mirroring operation. (And I use them quite a bit. ;))

When you do it this way you can look at the actual parameters of the mirrored operation and make any necessary changes without changing the original toolpath. :thumbsup:

I have noticed enough weird things like chains reversing direction or toolplanes getting messed up to know that you must check every detail before you can trust the output you are getting from any mirrored operation.  They do work, but you gotta be careful!  Like Ron said, sometimes it's just as easy to mirror your geometry, copy and paste the toolpaths, and then reselect the geometry on the mirrored side. :yes

• Like 1

Mirroring a toolpath is one of those features that should be removed from the software. You will never catch me doing it. I will mirror geometry and copy the original toolpath any day. While its not an easy button solution but it is the correct solution that isn't going to bite you for no reason.