Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Matsuura MX-520 issue

Yes we purchased it new, here's the scoop, after they replaced the first we ran it for a day then the other one went, turns out when you push the TSC button on the main control panel and leave it pushed in to interrupt the coolant flow it destroys the ceramic disc in the rotary union.

42 minutes ago, Mark @ PPG said:

Hmm...the important thing here is to NEVER stop or start coolant thru spindle with the spindle running. ALWAYS shut down the spindle first.

Parameters should be set the way to prevent you from doing it the wrong way.

This is the case with every matsuura 20,000 RPMs spindle We have.

2 hours ago, Mark @ PPG said:

Hmm...the important thing here is to NEVER stop or start coolant thru spindle with the spindle running. ALWAYS shut down the spindle first.

Hmmm, We never do it this way, the spindle turns and the coolant comes on and stops with the spindle stop.  We changed spindle last year and 3 days BEFORE the rotary union was damaged, I guess that was a lucky one, otherwise it usually is the other way for things. We have Doosan machine but the rotary union is maybe of the same maker. anyway, good tip i will bring to my machine supplier and ask, as these parts are a vital part for the TSC.

Those things are MTB dependend. We had a Mori where this was quite opposite. Coolant on/off only while spindle was running. That was with the DIN style coolant though.

The important thing is to exactly follow the MTB's instruction and don't get fancy trying to make all equipment from different MTBs run the same way ...and sadly I do see it all the time.

7 hours ago, Mark @ PPG said:

Starting through spindle coolant or air with the spindle running or stationary is totally dependent on the specific model of rotary union, it has nothing to do with the brand of the rotary union and absolutely nothing to do with the MTB.

I've been through rotary union purgatory a few times. I recommend going with Deublin Rotary union that are designed for continuous AIR and Coolant use that can take up to 50 micron particles. Those ones are bomb proof. I still run 10 micron filters pre union. Straight coolant only unions have proven to be much less robust.

19 minutes ago, Mark @ PPG said:

I messed up the reply box, but I usually start the program with the coolant neglect on and single block down. When ready to go I switch the key to setup stop the spindle start coolant and start the spindle. Then back to run and cycle start.

Be happy nothing happens when you push the button. Our vplus 1000 gives a sequence alarm if you hit the button. We lost 12 hours of a 40 hour cycle from a curious employee one night