Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Triangular mesh failure

So not a Guru

What type of motion are you trying to accomplish?  There are ways to get it to output, but it doesn't seem to want to trim to stock no matter what I do.  My first goto is to step by step turn everything off, then add them back in until it stops working.  I am not a huge fan of tmesh....

I would create geo, use parallel and break it up a little bit.   File attached.  I work in wood, haven't done anything particularly complicated metal in years, though with what I know now of the moduleworks paths, I could be dangerous....  so you will have to take it with a grain of salt.  Plus, Not exactly sure what you have for a kinematic arrangement.  It's by no means perfect or post ready but hopefully you can massage it into something useful if you haven't figured it out already.

TMESH1.mcam

4 hours ago, mayday said:

I've only had triangular mesh work for me a couple of times. mostly in a pocket type shape with a floor in it.

why not just run a rest mill path in the pocket your cutting? Or are you trying to use a tool tilt to avoid the tool shank?

Yes, I want to tilt a 1/32" tapered ball in the slot. I tried using port, but it only allows lollypops & straight balls. I tried using hybrid too, but I couldn't get a full path out of it either.

On 9/8/2017 at 0:22 PM, C^Millman said:

ou can also offset a chain above the part and drive it through the chain. Then dynamically move the chain up and down to control how much tilt you want for attack angle of the tool.  

That's basically what I did with the sample I posted back up.  For a quick and dirty slot like that I will just use a line and use closest point, then you can adjust height for the long sides, and adjust the endpoints for the ends.  If you want to have smoother transistions at the ends, you will have to draw some more complicated geo to smooth out the rotary motion.

46 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

That's basically what I did with the sample I posted back up.  For a quick and dirty slot like that I will just use a line and use closest point, then you can adjust height for the long sides, and adjust the endpoints for the ends.  If you want to have smoother transistions at the ends, you will have to draw some more complicated geo to smooth out the rotary motion.

Yes amazing when you break things down how you can come up with the same approach.

On 9/5/2017 at 3:03 AM, So not a Guru said:

Could anyone take a look at this & point me in the right direction?. I've tried constant Z & geodesic, but each of them give me errors that I don't understand. I want to restmill the corners of the slot after the 1/8" endmill cut. I'm including the error messages.

TMESH1.mcam

PROJECTION.PNG

CANT CLOSE POLYLINE.PNG

Why didn't you set the plane up correctly? You need to go the machining direction page on the cut pattern page and pick the correct plane direction. Just because you have decided to do this in 5 Axis doesn't mean this toolpath has worked out the correct direction for the cut parameters. Yes it seems odd a very important part fo the equation was tucked away, but I think in 2018 it was put more into the main section so this kind of issue would present itself again.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:22 PM, huskermcdoogle said:

What type of motion are you trying to accomplish?  There are ways to get it to output, but it doesn't seem to want to trim to stock no matter what I do.  My first goto is to step by step turn everything off, then add them back in until it stops working.  I am not a huge fan of tmesh....

I would create geo, use parallel and break it up a little bit.   File attached.  I work in wood, haven't done anything particularly complicated metal in years, though with what I know now of the moduleworks paths, I could be dangerous....  so you will have to take it with a grain of salt.  Plus, Not exactly sure what you have for a kinematic arrangement.  It's by no means perfect or post ready but hopefully you can massage it into something useful if you haven't figured it out already.

TMESH1.mcam

Thank you for this Nick, I learned a lot about the path from studying it.

Zeke