Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Barrel Cutters for curved surfaces

D0uble0rN0thin

Does anyone have experience getting Mastercam to use barrel cutters in a 5 axis set-up?  I've tried many different multiaxis toolpaths, and I cannot seem to get the path to work properly.  I am using a 3/8 diameter cutter with a 1" radius with roughly .875 length of cut and a .08 radius at the bottom.  If anyone has any insight on a proper toolpath it would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I have used them with great success. 

You will need to help us so we can help you. A better explanation of your issue is a good place to start. "I cannot seem to get the path to work properly." Doesn't tell us anything. What path for starters? 

Well, I have most recently tried the "curve" multi axis path and the "along curve" multi axis path.  Neither of them recognize the parameters I have set for the tool.  It is like they just want to use it as a ball endmill.  I am sure there is something that I am missing.  Most of the time it seems that its more of an issue with just getting MC to do what is in my head by playing around with the numbers inside the toolpaths.

• 1 year later...

If you're trying to define an oval form tool this is a Barrel form tool in Mastercam. Mastercam has a 2019 and 2018 description of all of the Emuge tools that are available. I've attached the 2019 version. If you need to make a different one I would suggest using one of the predefined tools and editing it to suit. 

Emuge-circle-segment_inch_2019.tooldb

• Thanks 1