D0uble0rN0thin

Barrel Cutters for curved surfaces

Does anyone have experience getting Mastercam to use barrel cutters in a 5 axis set-up?  I've tried many different multiaxis toolpaths, and I cannot seem to get the path to work properly.  I am using a 3/8 diameter cutter with a 1" radius with roughly .875 length of cut and a .08 radius at the bottom.  If anyone has any insight on a proper toolpath it would be greatly appreciated!

what MC version you running?

I have used them with great success. 

You will need to help us so we can help you. A better explanation of your issue is a good place to start. "I cannot seem to get the path to work properly." Doesn't tell us anything. What path for starters? 

Well, I have most recently tried the "curve" multi axis path and the "along curve" multi axis path.  Neither of them recognize the parameters I have set for the tool.  It is like they just want to use it as a ball endmill.  I am sure there is something that I am missing.  Most of the time it seems that its more of an issue with just getting MC to do what is in my head by playing around with the numbers inside the toolpaths.

I don't believe any of the legacy 5-Axis paths will recognize those tools. You will have to switch to a advanced 5-Axis path like Morph or Parallel to use them. 

Along curve should support barrel mills as it is a moduleworks surface based path.  Take a look at how you set up your tool axis control.  Start by playing with the run tool setting. Worst case you can set to center, then use collision control to move the tool away.

........cadcam error 2298

wut?

edit: barrel/form cutter defined

image.thumb.png.c8f83170a104bf5fa2d86a0a08f422e0.png

Maybe a taper form is not the right choice sinse there is no angle info given by emuge. I eyeballed the 8°.

Still, not sure about the cryptic error msgs. If the tool def is satisfied, why the error?

If you're trying to define an oval form tool this is a Barrel form tool in Mastercam. Mastercam has a 2019 and 2018 description of all of the Emuge tools that are available. I've attached the 2019 version. If you need to make a different one I would suggest using one of the predefined tools and editing it to suit. 

Emuge-circle-segment_inch_2019.tooldb

• Thanks 1

hahha omg.

T7 from that list and BINGO! It works!!!

thanks buddy

edit: so for blade and fillet finishing, only balls are supported in Blade Expert?

I don't happen to use blade expert. Perhaps somebody who does will chime in.

• Like 1