Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rectangular Broach

Here we do a ton of flanges for microwave applications. Usually we get away with being able to put a .015 radius in the corner but one customer is insisting on .008 max. The parts are over .200 thick so I'm thinking a .016 endmill over 10x diameter might be a small challenge and time consuming. Our Haas VF2 has the spindle orient option so I can program it to orient at any angle. I would like to broach the rectangle to size while forming the corner radii. The size is pretty small .140 X .280 with a +/-.001 tolerance. I would mill the slot to with in .003-.005 with a .047 endmill leaving a .0235 radius in the corner to broach out. Has anyone done anything like this? I have seen a bunch of keyway broaching while researching this but nothing really like the application I am looking at broaching a rectangle. The feature is through and the material is Aluminum.

Capture.PNG.c6ec2869c97cbbafa13a61762dcf8565.PNG  

HS-0035-2.jpg.b0a9afac1ecbb83e4270ac8437db9915.jpg

Thinking about something like this custom made for the size we need. Place to purchase?

• BrianP. changed the title to Rectangular Broach

Brian,

I did a TON of this while at Cobham/Kevlin Microwave.....

Slater Tools....find a broach that is the right size...

I would use a drill path and after milling down to .0235 rad, I would draw a line out of each corner at 45°....break it into as many points as I wanted and create points at endpoint....then pick them in the order to approach the corner....done, square corner...use can use a .005 step early, then drop to a .002 with a free pass or 2...(hint-disable Filter out duplicates to get free passes....

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, mkd said:

haven't worked microwave parts since the mid 90's. Used to love those .02" pocket floor thicknesses, flat within .002:wub:

Never broached on a haas mill but iv'e always  been  paranoid about the servo dithering when "locked"

Yeah. Everything is +/-.001 and true position of .002-.005. Even the clearance holes for screws. Frickin engineers. :P

• 2 weeks later...