Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Getting a new PC

TERRYH

They are updating my computer with a brand new one, and it will be a fresh install of X9 which we are currently using, is there a way for my IT dept. to transfer and setup the new PC with all the correct links and default settings I use rather than starting all over from scratch, and without a lot of manual work and headaches?  

Got the new PC and copied over the config folder and posts and for the most part it seems to be working fine. Not sure why but there are a few things driving me nuts that my other PC was not doing for some reason the setting for the auto cursor is not staying where I have them set, when I shut MC down for the night the next morning I have to rest them they do not stay, and the various windows do not stay where I put them like they did before. Also not sure why but if I am doing something in MC and open other windows like chrome, or Skype or Excel, Power Point they seem to not work well with the MC windows and do not fade right which I am assuming is a setting some where causing this but it was fine on old PC. the new PC is a beast with 64GB RAM a Intel Xeon CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz an terabit HD and an Nvidia Quadro P5000 video card. Get some of these wrinkles worked out where its not so annoying soon I hope. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had this computer for a few weeks now and everything but one item seems to be running great and fast. when I open the verify it does not open properly. I have 2 monitors I keep main screen on left and the op. mgr level mgr and the plane mgr. open on the right, and when running verify on my old PC I never had a single issue with this, but when it opens it will still show parts of the windows behind it I have to click on another window which puts verify in the background then click on it and it then is correct. And it seems to be worse with verify and a couple other windows in mastercam, when opening the tool manager and trying to edit a tool or holder. I use  Excel, power point and one note and they do not seem to have this issue.  Also when running verify when doing drilling it shows all the tools crashing, but the milling part does not it seems to be correct. Also I noticed the 2 progress bars at the bottom of the verify window have now disappeared. Our I.T. people and my re seller have tried some stuff but could not get it figured out. Everything is brand new and all fresh installs I have been dealing with it and working around it but man it gets irritating.  

• 1 month later...

Had my new computer for several weeks now, and when they replaced mine they also replaced 3 others at same time. All 4 has a PCI SSD and all 4 are having similar issues, and all 4 are blue screening at random times, found a known issue with these drives on Dells web site. they tried several different things and nothing helped. Last week they replaced the PCI drive with a hard wired one to see if that fixed the problems, they are using my PC to experiment on before doing whatever to the other 3. dell said if this didn't work they would replace all 4 systems. Well mine knock on wood has not blue screened yet but I am still having the same other issues with the windows not loading or hiding the one in the background properly. But it also seems like X9 is lagging when opening and closing things and just simple things like deleting lines I created, it just seems to hang up. Does anyone know of any setting I can change to help this run faster, one of our IT people is starting to think it my be a video card issue has anyone dealt with a Nvida Quadro P5000 is there settings in there I might be able to change and help performance. and we are running Windows 7 pro 64 bit OS and the PC is a Dell Precision T5810

1 hour ago, TERRYH said:

not sure since this has Windows 7 pro in it not Win10 if it is a possibility where do I look?

If you have Win7, you're fine. It's the Win10 version of the creator's update that is messing up Mastercam.

As far as your issue, I don't have any more ideas. Sorry.

Have you made sure the Video card drivers have been set up to only use the P5000? On some Dell Systems you have to disable the on board GPU inside of the CPU through the BIOS. Doing it through the device manager will not work. Have you made Mastercam a support program in the Nvidia Manager? Last thing would be to give the Mcam2018 folder full admin permissions to your user account. Win7 does not give the user full admin rights even though the user has admin rights. I solved a lot of Mastercam issues by giving the folder the full admin rights for the user account. Go check it out and right click on the Mcam2018 folder in program files. I just uninstalled and reinstalled my 2018 and it is laggy and driving me nuts. I will go give my user account full permissions and life will be good again.

Windows 7 is much easier than Windows 10, but here is how to do it with Windows 10 1607 and Higher Build.

Link to Win 10 Permissions process

2018 Permissions.png