Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Select only wireframe (really!)

SlaveCam

13 minutes ago, gcode said:

In MC2017/18 you can use the filters on the right side of the screen and set it to Select Only Wireframe

another way is to go to the Solid Selection toolpar and the top of the screen and turn edge selection off

After making a suggestion yesterday I tried both of those and neither worked.  The solid selection tool bar disables face selection fine, but when creating wireframe, the edge selection doesn't appear to work. It stays on regardless of how you have it set.

20 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

After making a suggestion yesterday I tried both of those and neither worked.  The solid selection tool bar disables face selection fine, but when creating wireframe, the edge selection doesn't appear to work. It stays on regardless of how you have it set.

weird I turn it off all the time to insure I'm selecting wireframe arcs instead of solid hole edges when doing drill toolpaths

I just hover over the arc for a second and it highlights. If I get the edge by mistake, I get an edge symbol

• 5 years later...

I feel we keep dancing around this issue. The problem arises whenever you are working in a mixed field of solids and wireframe entities. When you want to move or trim or manipulate wireframe entities, as soon as you select them, the solid edges become dominate. You can turn of the edge selection in the selection box and everything is good until you exit the function that you were working in. Then when you try to manipulate something else, there's that solid edge default again. There seems to be no way to turn this off as a default. The guys in my shop Hate this. Absolutely ANNOYING! Way too much time spent turning this off. Did I mention ANNOYING?

If there is a way to deal with this please tell. Not looking for a work around. We've been dealing with this for a long time. I keep hoping the next version has the fix. I'm on 2023, getting ready to install 2024. not getting my hopes up, but, Maybe!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Toolmaker T said:

I feel we keep dancing around this issue. The problem arises whenever you are working in a mixed field of solids and wireframe entities. When you want to move or trim or manipulate wireframe entities, as soon as you select them, the solid edges become dominate. You can turn of the edge selection in the selection box and everything is good until you exit the function that you were working in. Then when you try to manipulate something else, there's that solid edge default again. There seems to be no way to turn this off as a default. The guys in my shop Hate this. Absolutely ANNOYING! Way too much time spent turning this off. Did I mention ANNOYING?

If there is a way to deal with this please tell. Not looking for a work around. We've been dealing with this for a long time. I keep hoping the next version has the fix. I'm on 2023, getting ready to install 2024. not getting my hopes up, but, Maybe!

I can't stand this bullxxxx. ANNOYING is a mild term for it. It mostly gets me while trimming. WTF would you want the solid to be dominate when trimming? Did the devs even consider how this would work? 

Ok, I get that you can trim things TO a solid, but why allow a solid to be picked as the item to be trimmed? Seriously WTF?

I mentioned in another thread that allowing levels to be "active" meaning visible AND selectable vs. non-active meaning visible but NOT selectable would have real beneficial use.  Then there were jokes about CAD functions yadda yadda 

I'll say again, there is a use for this function.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, cruzila said:

I mentioned in another thread that allowing levels to be "active" meaning visible AND selectable vs. non-active meaning visible but NOT selectable would have real beneficial use.  Then there were jokes about CAD functions yadda yadda 

Pretty sure even GibbSCAM has that. IIRC from 25 years ago when I used it.

18 hours ago, Toolmaker T said:

If there is a way to deal with this please tell. Not looking for a work around. 

Workarounds may be the only option at this point.

Unshading  (Alt S) will reduce the dominance solids while trimming 

and the wireframe only filter works as well. 

I normally keep solids and wireframe on separate levels and turn the solids level off if I have serious trimming to do.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, cruzila said:

As agreed in the X7 Beta days....

🥱