Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Linking tool database to machine

Karl@CP PISTONS

Hi All,

Mastercam 2018 question about using multiple tool databases. Is there a way to link a tool database to a specific machine? I'd like to select a specific machine and have the corresponding tool library also be open. Specifically we have 6 lathes each is a different operation so each has different tools and tool numbers. This is a pain to remember that the OD turning tool is t0101 on machine X and might not even be present on machine Y.

Thanks

Yes. In your machine def, select the following:

1) General Machine Parameters
2) Inside the General Machine Parameters Dialog 2), select tab 3) Tool Material Libraries.
Then, Select your library 4).

Save your machine def, and the library is assigned.

Always make a backup before changing a machine def.

MACHDEF.png

• Like 1

I got away from the process using Mill_inch tool library. I have copied all of those tools into each holder library. I then will use that holder library for that machine. Drives me crazy we have every holder under the sun in one tool library, but we on't have the tools in each holder library. Once you see how many clicks and time it saves programming this way will be hard to go back to using the default library IMHO. I have also updated the Big-Inch into every Version since it was stripped out and have given it to many customers so they can have many of the tools they need defined from the start.

6 hours ago, C^Millman said:

I got away from the process using Mill_inch tool library. I have copied all of those tools into each holder library. I then will use that holder library for that machine. Drives me crazy we have every holder under the sun in one tool library, but we on't have the tools in each holder library. Once you see how many clicks and time it saves programming this way will be hard to go back to using the default library IMHO. I have also updated the Big-Inch into every Version since it was stripped out and have given it to many customers so they can have many of the tools they need defined from the start.

Agreed, Ron.

Our Horizontals used dedicated tools (134 per machine), so our libraries for each machine reflect only those resident tools.

We also use libraries for kitted jobs, and special cribs. Then, we attach those to our machine defs that reside in our templates. Our templates contain all fixturing used on that machine.

Makes things soo much easier.

I just showed the Mill_inch, because I just opened MCX to a default vertical that we don't use libraries for (only 16 tools).

• Like 1