Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Peel issue

jeff

I love peel mill, but when I'm cutting 1 wall, and running the end of the toolpath off the end of the stock it always leaves a post sticking up. 

That post either snaps the tool, or snaps off the part and deforming it a little bit.

How do you guys deal with situations like this?

1/2" endmill, 1.1" deep leaves a tall post, I could take shallower cuts but that would increase my cycle time by a ton.

Pic is Front View.

Capture.JPG

I make my machining zone the part rectangle.

Then would add 2 lines in your removal area and chain them as avoidance with the remaining outside of the part and use dynamic high speed. May have to break the outside profile so you can make a full chain

This has worked good for me and having parts of the same chain in machining/avoidance doesn't seem to make an error.

Hopefully I explained correctly

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, jeff said:

That's what I went with. But I might try peel mill towards the wall entering from the open area

In situations like this I think I get more "bang for the buck" using 2D high Speed because it will deal with any corners in a "pocket" situation(albeit an open pocket here) more effectively, whereas Peelmill is a far simpler "repeating" toolpath, which also has its place, horses for courses and all that.....and of course personal preference....

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I agree with what others have said: Peel Mill is generally designed to cut Slots in material.

I'd recommend learning the other HST tools and techniques, as they serve you far better in situations like this. They adapt more easily to odd contours and shapes.

There are some new "chaining" tools for telling Mastercam "what is stock", "what is the part", and "what sides are open (air chaining)".

Just my .02

• Like 2
On 9/29/2017 at 6:18 PM, mkd said:

so from top view, you're facing up yo the shoulder? If so i would think blend is an easy slam-dunk. I probably misinterpreted.

Yes going from right to left along a shoulder on the right, and the left side is open ended. I don't think I've ever used Blend but I'll try it next time.

1 hour ago, jeff said:

Yes going from right to left along a shoulder on the right, and the left side is open ended. I don't think I've ever used Blend but I'll try it next time.

All that is required for geometry are two lines. Cutter comp will plunge off the ledge and keep away from shoulder.

best to be running along the shoulder,  with this path, as stepover are at abrupt 90s

• Like 1