Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma MA-500 Horizontal using CALL OO88

We just got an Okuma MA-500 Horizontal. We previously had 3 Cincinnati Horizontal 4 axis. Because this is mainly a job shop, the decision was made long time ago not to program from center of rotation, instead we do like in a VMC from a known corner of stock, then for the rotations we let the control to track follow the position of that corner. For this to work we need to input the shift amounts (distance from part origin in XYZ to the center of rotation) on the offset page and set the control to track the rotations. 

We were told that to do this on the new Okuma MA500 we need to use the following routine: CALL OO88 XX=00 YY=20 ZZ=0 BB=0 SBB=0 HH=1 PP=10.

We have been trying to make it work like on the Cincinnati Horizontals but we are either doing something wrong or the machine is not calibrated because the tool is not following that corner.

Does anyone knows and could explain to me how to make an Okuma Horizontal 4 axis to follow the XYZB corner origin at any angle. The goal is to have only one work offset and let the control figure out the compensation amounts.

I think for Haas machines that will be G254 Dynamic Work Offset (DWO).

The only issue I have is that the MU series is a 5 Axis machine. OO88 is setup to run on the A/C axis and is heavily integrated into the control. So even if he got his hands on the file I can't honestly see proper implementation of the sub. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that I have been down this road and this custom sub was my solution.

From memory the Okuma horizontals don't or didn't use OO88. I'm sure it was something like OG367 or something to that effect. Im not sure if it is an option, or standard. Unfortunately, we don't have any horizontals. Only 2 axis lathes, 4 and 5 axis verticals, a B400W and a U3000. so I can't confirm.