Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

POST NOT ENCRYPTED TO THIS SIM?

36 minutes ago, Fabio1 said:

Just curious, How long does it usually take to get a post once you request it?

Can depend....complexity is usually the driver and if it already exists....

Could be a day or 2 to a couple weeks....

Yes apparently management will  get in contact with the seller to correct the sim. He told them it was set to that sim but obviously not. I do find this all unnecessary and to complex. It is nice to have solid support however correcting yor own posts is a snap on many other types of software(for someone with basic knowledge). It's disappointing MC is taking this route

Just now, Fabio1 said:

It's disappointing MC is taking this route

They're not....your company contracted a 3rd party for a post.....that post writer has the right to protect his/her work....

You can always grab a generic and do it yourself

2 hours ago, Fabio1 said:

Yes apparently management will  get in contact with the seller to correct the sim. He told them it was set to that sim but obviously not. I do find this all unnecessary and to complex. It is nice to have solid support however correcting yor own posts is a snap on many other types of software(for someone with basic knowledge). It's disappointing MC is taking this route

Just about every other CAM I know of on advanced machines is not a simple edit of posts. I know of some posts that cost $40k just for the post for some CAM systems.

You are more than welcome to go out and create a free post that works on every machine on the planet and give it away. Please let us know when you got it done I will take a copy of it.

Like JP said there are generic ones you can take the time to modify for your needs. Wish you all the best on this simple task.

sorry if I struck a nerve. Consider it constructive criticism. I wont go listing other software on this site to bash mastercam. Here is an example of an issue I have presently. We have a boringmill which has a quill or "W" axis on top of the "Z". The post comes out with an "A 0." and "Z 0." so if the W is not zero before running a program we have a potential for a crash. On the other software I would open the "post edit" go to start of program tab change A0. to W0. done. Now all my post will come out with the W0.. No need to contact anyone, no waiting. Time is money

50 minutes ago, Fabio1 said:

On the other software I would open the "post edit" go to start of program tab change A0. to W0. done.

Pretty much that simple in Mastercam too. All you are doing is modifying the address on a defined and formatted variable, pretty basic post editing really.

The difference is that Mastercam allows you to do that and much (much, much.....) more in an "open framework" programming system, which is why Mastercam programmers use Mastercam (despite its flaws, and all the GUIs have flaws).......welcome to the "bigs".

But that wasn't the original problem was it.....?

3 hours ago, Fabio1 said:

sorry if I struck a nerve. Consider it constructive criticism. I wont go listing other software on this site to bash mastercam. Here is an example of an issue I have presently. We have a boringmill which has a quill or "W" axis on top of the "Z". The post comes out with an "A 0." and "Z 0." so if the W is not zero before running a program we have a potential for a crash. On the other software I would open the "post edit" go to start of program tab change A0. to W0. done. Now all my post will come out with the W0.. No need to contact anyone, no waiting. Time is money

Well guess what you can do the same thing is Mastercam with a generic post.

Posts are work and when I see a CAM software offer a 9 Axis Post for a Twin Spindle with C axis Twin Turret with Y Axis on both turrets for free like Mastercam does then yes you got a point and yes there is a free post for Lathe that does this. There are plenty of Generic 5 axis post that will run about any 5 axis machine there is, but they take work to figure out. 

Sorry you having issues with your posts, but after 15 years ofusign this software I can do most of what I need with a post, but prefer to leave it to professionals so I can make programs.

I used mastercam from 94 to at least 2001 for both a wire edm and boringmill. the boringmill was 2D but we were pulling off some 3D cuts with it. Nothing to fancy but we thought we were pretty good pulling off 3D with 2D software. No Gandalf but fluent with MC. I have used a handful of software since then and only been using 2017 for 4 mths with little time to really explore. A lot has changed and maybe I was not looking in the right spot for post editing. What I was looking at seemed to be in code and I'm not given the time to figure it out nor can I take it home to wonder through it all. It has been quite a few years i know so i can't expect a walk in the park.

11 hours ago, Fabio1 said:

What I was looking at seemed to be in code

Correct, that would be the post processer code. I would recommend the following:

Download a new MPMASTER post form the tab at top of page. When you open it you will see it arranged in tabs which will give you an overview of the structure. Open each tab and the underlying code will appear.

Obtain the MP documentation from your reseller. You will find  overviews, worked examples,  definitions etc. and you can put it on a thumb drive and take it home......

Do the debugger tutorial, trying to edit the post to any degree without the debugger is like setting up a machine without the distance to go screen visible.

Do searches on the forum, you will find many worked examples here. I will quite often print out examples to take home to read through at leisure.

When you post a question try and show that you have done at least some homework.

Always make a copy of your post to try out your edits so your original is protected.

I have found the members of this forum to be extremely generous with their knowledge and experience if you show you are not just here for a free ride.

For your Z to W address issue look at the post sections and documentation for variable declaration and formatting, you should have it figured out in less than 30 mins. and it will start to open the doors for you to real "post editing". Start simple and work your way up, much like machining really....

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Fabio1 said:

I used mastercam from 94 to at least 2001 for both a wire edm and boringmill. the boringmill was 2D but we were pulling off some 3D cuts with it. Nothing to fancy but we thought we were pretty good pulling off 3D with 2D software. No Gandalf but fluent with MC. I have used a handful of software since then and only been using 2017 for 4 mths with little time to really explore. A lot has changed and maybe I was not looking in the right spot for post editing. What I was looking at seemed to be in code and I'm not given the time to figure it out nor can I take it home to wonder through it all. It has been quite a few years i know so i can't expect a walk in the park.

Yes sir and you put up something someone can help you with and someone will be glad to help you.