Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TCP (Type 1 ) or (Type 2 )

MSL

Hi,

We just bought a Mitsui Seiki Vertex55II 5axis machine with a Fanuc 31i M control. I am trying to find out which type TCP should I use for this machine so I can dial in my post.(Type 1 G43.4   A,B,C )  or (Type 2 G43.5  I,J,K ). I asked the application engineer but he said you can use either one. Does anyone have this machine?

Thank you.

There isn't that much difference between the two modes. The A,B,C type uses the Machine's Axes, so it is "kinematically" tied to that machine's rotary configuration. (With the A/B/C address, you are telling the machine at each tool position, "how much to rotate each rotary".)

With "Type II", you're specifying a "vector" at each tool position. Internally, on the control, it will convert that Vector direction into the proper "rotary angles".

Both types work fine. Sometimes I'll specify Type II, if there is a chance that I would need to run the program on another machine (with different kinematics). Sometimes you can get away without having to re-post the program.

If you'll only ever create a NC program that are specific to this machine, then it is really just personal preference.

Are you going to be running these programs through any offline Computer Aided Verification Software (Vericut or NC Simul)? If so, you'll want to be sure that your virtual control is setup to read which ever code format you are using...

1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

There isn't that much difference between the two modes. The A,B,C type uses the Machine's Axes, so it is "kinematically" tied to that machine's rotary configuration. (With the A/B/C address, you are telling the machine at each tool position, "how much to rotate each rotary".)

With "Type II", you're specifying a "vector" at each tool position. Internally, on the control, it will convert that Vector direction into the proper "rotary angles".

Both types work fine. Sometimes I'll specify Type II, if there is a chance that I would need to run the program on another machine (with different kinematics). Sometimes you can get away without having to re-post the program.

If you'll only ever create a NC program that are specific to this machine, then it is really just personal preference.

Are you going to be running these programs through any offline Computer Aided Verification Software (Vericut or NC Simul)? If so, you'll want to be sure that your virtual control is setup to read which ever code format you are using...

Thank you Colin. We are going to run it on Vericut. I will let them know.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MSL said:

Thank you Colin. We are going to run it on Vericut. I will let them know.

I know that if you get them to build the Control File, then Vericut should support either mode.

For Vericut, it is very important that you are aware of the Parameter settings on your machine, and to make sure that Vericut is setup to mimic the behavior of the machine.

2 hours ago, Mark @ PPG said:

Doesn't it also have anything to do with better (smoother) accuracy in high speed 5 axis speed motions?

I could be wrong.

I'm sure it could have an effect. Like all "modes", there will be a manual that describes what each specific version (type 1 or 2) does, and what other "machine modes" are compatible with each one. The most important thing to me is to look "under the hood" at the Parameter settings, and make sure that I'm using codes that are compatible. Often, you need to turn modes on and off in a specific order, so that you don't trip a machine alarm.

In theory, mathematically speaking, considering only the scope in the 1st post, type 1 is faster to be processed by the control as it does not have to resolve IJK vectors to ABC angles.

In modern controls with dedicated processors to do look ahead, the difference is not noticeable though. 

• Like 2