Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compensation Poll - Take the poll

I think your compensating for something.  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which comp type do you use?

• Wear comp only
    • Control comp only
    • Some of each
    • Never use comp
    • What's comp?

• Guest changed the title to Compensation Poll
  • Guest changed the title to Compensation Poll - Take the poll
  • Guest pinned this topic

Some one stated it perfectly in the other tread. When I wrote code by hand it was basically "control" so you could just type in actual numbers for milling. X0 was X0 not X.25 or whatever. Since going to  Mastercam for programming its always been wear for me. I can do the math if I need to figure out something but why in this day and age would you be reading lines of code. I just let the program do all the work. Although it is eye opening how much work it use to be when I do something quick in MDI. I think back to how much code I use to type in by hand and I wonder how I ever stuck with it at all. It was a lot of work.

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, C^Millman said:

My response is tricky. I personally only use wear, but have customers who want machine so I answered the poll based off of my preferred method. 

Same here. I have worked on some projects that I was required to use control. I didn't like it but that's what the customer wanted. My preferred method is and always has been wear. 

Control.

Everybody uses it in this shop. I have absolutely no problem with wear and understand its benefits. However, I am amazed at how many operators are unaware of it. There are likely two reasons: the local school where entry-level machinists are made obviously doesn't teach it (evinced by the lack of knowledge by some trainees), and a very popular domestic CAM software (used by schools) doesn't support it. As we do all the grinding on our CNC mill, and the grinding stone is perfectly round, the benefit of using full radius compensation is very clear  - just measure the diameter of the stone with a micrometer and put Diameter/2 (Okuma control allows simple expressions) in the tool radius field. With wear you'd need to do extra calculations and we can't risk any error.

I haven't seen any other use for control compensation other than profile finishing. Is there?

On 10/13/2017 at 3:13 PM, gcode said:

Wear comp and computer comp are identical toolpaths ... the only difference is you get a G41 /G42 and a diameter offset posted

when you select Wear Comp

Yep. I don't use wear for stuff like chamfers. I just keep that at Computer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, newbeeee said:

Jeff - how do you adjust?

Z (wear offset - ie drop the tool?)

We don't really need to.

Our chamfers don't need to be held to a tight tolerance. 

If one of our tools was resharpened and leaving a smaller chamfer than programmed, I'll usually tell my guys to lower the tool for that run.

Most of our chamfers are between .02" and .06" x 45deg.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

For those that do control comp, does it work ok for internal threadmilling?

Yes, but you need to apply the comp out of the hole and then turn it off outside of the hole if in a tight area. If you got enough room to turn it on and off and still move the radius value in the hole then you don't have to do it.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Yes, but you need to apply the comp out of the hole and then turn it off outside of the hole if in a tight area. If you got enough room to turn it on and off and still move the radius value in the hole then you don't have to do it.

Right here is exactly why I use wear. You run into this on any tight area. With wear I can use as little as a .002" lead to activate my comp. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, BenK said:

Right here is exactly why I use wear. You run into this on any tight area. With wear I can use as little as a .002" lead to activate my comp. 

You can do that with control also ...no problem...so?...anyway I dont think u wanna do a threadmilling just with 0.002 room to lead in?

6 hours ago, Grievous said:

You can do that with control also ...no problem...so?...anyway I dont think u wanna do a threadmilling just with 0.002 room to lead in?

So you can apply comp in the control for say a .5" endmill with only moving the machine .002"? 

I never said I was using that small of a lead on a thread mill.

I get it, you have an opinion on the subject. Be my guest and do it your way. Me I will use the method that works the best and gives me the control I need. I have yet to find a need to use control comp in all the years I have been doing this, until I do I will stick with wear regardless of what software I happen to be using.

4 hours ago, BenK said:

So you can apply comp in the control for say a .5" endmill with only moving the machine .002"? 

I never said I was using that small of a lead on a thread mill.

I get it, you have an opinion on the subject. Be my guest and do it your way. Me I will use the method that works the best and gives me the control I need. I have yet to find a need to use control comp in all the years I have been doing this, until I do I will stick with wear regardless of what software I happen to be using.

Well...nobody was telling you how program your machines. You just quoted a statement about a threadmilling, and you implied that you can lead in in 0.002 and that's why you are using wear: " Right here is exactly why I use wear. ...etc etc"  .and implying u cannot do it same thing with control. You can..btw..

1 hour ago, Grievous said:

Well...nobody was telling you how program your machines. You just quoted a statement about a threadmilling, and you implied that you can lead in in 0.002 and that's why you are using wear: " Right here is exactly why I use wear. ...etc etc"  .and implying u cannot do it same thing with control. You can..btw..

I'll second grievous on this, but at the same time, I will throw in there that you have to have your comp application parameters set in a way that will allow this, and be predictable.

Actually I quoted someone who quoted someone about thread milling. My comment was in regards to applying comp in tight areas not thread milling. Not sure why my statement or my decision to use wear has bothered you so much but honestly I will continue to do it my way until someone can give me a reason I should change. You have yet to state your case for control comp. Try doing that instead of telling everyone else they are wrong just because you said so.

3 hours ago, JParis said:

I'd like to know who the 3 people are that claim they never use comp.....

Ok, guess I misunderstood the poll at first, I took never use comp as being the Computer comp. If that is wrong I am sorry that i am one of those 3! lol

Had it been a choice for Control comp i would have chosen that, i run most from diameter of tool and use walls and floors as adjustment if needed. I could not go back and change the answers so there is my explanation for my choice, so now you have 2 to go....