Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compensation Poll - Take the poll

I think your compensating for something.  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which comp type do you use?

• Wear comp only
    • Control comp only
    • Some of each
    • Never use comp
    • What's comp?

Haven't used "control" in ages!  I worked at a shop that used exclusively and I remember making myself enter all the tool diameters, including drills and reamers, because that was the only way I could make sure I didn't miss one.  Since that shop I have worked only with Haas machines and I program with wear only.  Only problem I have is that the Haas doesn't like lead in/lead out with only radius, it needs to go in straight then radius.  I wonder of "control" would help with that...

• 1 month later...

ok, first time post on this forum, but i always use control. a co-worker tried to get me into wear, but i guess it goes back to caveman programming days. today, i was looking at wear assuming that i will wonder wtf, why, all these years ive wasted. but he did say to watch out with old programs, because you get so used to not putting in an offset.

• 1 month later...

didnt understand the benefits of wear until yesterday. used 2d chamfer, 5/8" hole using a 5/8" spot drill. a wall was really close so i put the depth at .275" with a .0125" chamfer. in the verify the tool didnt smoke the wall, was nice to see the chamfer in the verify too.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, kunfuzed said:

Wear.

I did work at a shop years ago that did something that seems odd now, they would program finish cuts with wear, but roughing cuts with computer.

I guess is a preference issue. I like to do exactly that, only because I don't like to see the G41 or G42 everywhere but only where is needed. So If I see a G41 or G42 then I know it is a finish pass.

In any case with the machinist we are getting now it is safer to use computer or wear.

Also and as a mater of fact many programmers don't know the difference between the compensation choices.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

In my shop, wear only.

We did a lot of setups and while we had standardized tooling in the tool changer, I didn't want operators inputting dias in the offset page,  because if one of those guys screwed up,  crash...

Also we tend to interpolate a lot of holes.  Wear lets me do that with a lot smaller leadin.  So I can put a larger tool in the bore.  

Also,  someone mentioned caution when running old programs.  We NEVER saved programs back from the machine. Always post fresh code.  Always

• Like 2

Been at existing shop since fresh out of trade school for 23yrs and been programming for them on and off for 10-12 of those years and typically I only use control. For roughing it depends on the cutter. If it's an inserted tool I typically use computer comp as the tool diameter doesn't change, if we're using endmills whether it be a knuckle cutter or standard e.m. I use control so operators can adjust size on the fly.

Every mill I've ever run has only ever needed .0001/.0002 more then the radius of the tool (all of our machines are set up for CDC not CRC) to comp. tool so the .001/.002 moves some guys say is the reason for using wear or computer is a moot point. Unless I'm in a real tight space I'll just type in 55% in MC comp amount and go.

As an operator it was always nice to be able to look at a program and know exactly what feature is being cut without having to know the size of the tool the program was done with, which is probably the main reason we still do it this way.

JParis and I have had a couple discussions over this when he worked at a reseller and he would try to convince me of changing.

When I 1st started working here (in '95) and took over programming the 1st time ( '97-;98) roughing and finishing tool paths were the same, the operator just added .01 or so to diameter of tool in control to leave material on for finisher. When Mastercam added backplot (on my 2nd or 3rd time in programming seat which I think was when X came out) and each face changed color when it was cut by a tool I realized the number of times I would miss machining a feature because I forgot would be drastically reduced I started using the leave stock on feature and the operator could just insert the actual tool diameter which saved a few scrap parts as well if they forgot to add to diameter offset.

I like the thought of using the G10 code to automatically fill in tool table, but it would reset the diameter on every part and the fact that the same tool numbers aren't always used would pose a problem and we try to keep the operators from editing a program because we usually hire just that operators.

I have never run in to a situation where wear was needed so I see no reason to change, but I would like to see a few examples where it had to be used would be a learning moment for me.

Later.

22 hours ago, dragracer1951 said:

We NEVER saved programs back from the machine. Always post fresh code.  Always

Careful with this.  Though as long as you don't use reference points, this is generally safe.  If you do, then you will want to have the recover nci data on file open checkbox turned off in the configs, so that you get a fresh NCI regen after opening, then you won't be missing reference points.  Instead of posting fresh code each time you run the job, just keep a library of "proven" posted code, when you make changes in MC, overwrite the "current" file so you library is up to date and push it to the machine.  When the job is done, delete the file from the control, but leave on the server or pc you transfer from or where you posted the code.  I have been burned by reference points just not deciding to post many times over, usually with no monetary cost other than time, but a couple of times it has been expensive.  Single blocking code is unacceptable 99% of the time.  I am now in the habit of manually checking my posted code each time, or just using point moves instead (far more reliable - but time consuming).

• 4 weeks later...

I never use comp of any kind, computer only. I can change the size of the tool, post it and have it back to the machine before the operator can find the buttons for the tool register.

That way when I backplot I really know where the tool is going save for psop/peof.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:23 AM, JAMMAN said:

I never use comp of any kind, computer only. I can change the size of the tool, post it and have it back to the machine before the operator can find the buttons for the tool register.

That way when I backplot I really know where the tool is going save for psop/peof.

200 to 2000 miles away and 50 different machine and our customers I will stick with comp. B)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use several of them... not sure how anyone can get away with only using one style of comp.

I use wear mostly... but when I change contour type to "ramp" and "plunge" a zigzag path to rough a wall or something, I change to computer... and then when I do lettering I switch it to "off" so it mills the lettering on centerline.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Reko said:

I use several of them... not sure how anyone can get away with only using one style of comp.

I use wear mostly... but when I change contour type to "ramp" and "plunge" a zigzag path to rough a wall or something, I change to computer... and then when I do lettering I switch it to "off" so it mills the lettering on centerline.

yes...  computer, wear and off.. I never never ever use Control

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, middy73 said:

i see a lot of people use wear, might be a dumb question but what if using a certain size end mill then run out of them and have to switch to a different size?

ive been using control. im guessing this is just for mill also?

what about lathe?

No regrinds here....we may use a different length but don't change programmed sizes

3 hours ago, middy73 said:

i see a lot of people use wear, might be a dumb question but what if using a certain size end mill then run out of them and have to switch to a different size?

ive been using control. im guessing this is just for mill also?

what about lathe?

If you go to a different diameter endmill then you'll need to change speeds, feeds, stepovers, stepdowns, etc., and you won't know for sure if it will gouge or crash until you've re-verified with the new cutter.  May as well change it in CAM and re-post.  If it's a regrind only a few thou different you can probably get away with it and just comp it in, but any cut not using comp will leave extra stock, and that may mess up your finish passes.  This becomes significant when your 5/8" endmill measures .575", in addition to the fact that now you're using a weaker and more flexible cutter than what you programmed for.  Using a different cutter than what's on the setup sheet is a big NO in my book.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...