Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compensation Poll - Take the poll

I think your compensating for something.  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which comp type do you use?

• Wear comp only
    • Control comp only
    • Some of each
    • Never use comp
    • What's comp?

On 3/10/2018 at 5:08 AM, Tinyfxds said:

I use wear but at my old job I used neither.  The owner didn't believe in cutter comp.  All adjustments made were by the programmer and the program reposted.  This is one reason why I refer to it as my old job.

worked for a gent that approached it that way.

couple of advantages, source code was forced to be out of the box post and run, operators did not chase comp around. if a cutter was not cutting to size they would simply load a new one. owner was good at keeping plenty of stock in brand new quality cutters.

it was a very well run shop, had strict standards. any one with a little time at that shop could walk up to any job on any machine and know exactly what was what. 

just one way of doing things and it was not bad.

2 hours ago, RaiderX said:

if a cutter was not cutting to size they would simply load a new one. owner was good at keeping plenty of stock in brand new quality cutters.

Must have gone through cutters like popcorn.  Either that or they weren't holding very tight tolerances.  I'll wear comp in a couple tenths increments up to a thou or two before replacing a cutter; in many cases that would have been ten new cutters, and all the wasted time that entails.

• Like 1

yep, wasnt my money so did what he asked.

+/- .003 was about the tightest except bores and we reamed or bored that. did a lot of spring passes etc to insure parts ran some time before cutter changes. also never roughed with a finisher    never. he was pretty strict but shop ran smooth.

I do tooling for a cheap a company now holding tenths with dull cutters on 1990's machine so comp and whatever other tricks i can pull out of my a$$ is a must lol

I use wear comp just my choice of flavors.. 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Being 'that guy' again, I recently learned a new trick with a Heidenhain control equipped with Blum laser tool setter.

run a full measurement cycle that puts a positive value in the tool table for the radius. Have the CAM system put a negative radius call of the nominal cutter size in the prog. These values cancel each other out, giving perfect wear comp every. single. time. Pretty cool to be able to throw cutter radii into the program easily.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, greenxman said:

I asked this before and again , once you have this poll what is it's purpose ?

wear comp vrs control comp is an argument as old as this forum itself (21 years now)

The poll just helps illustrate  the opinions and work habits of the participants.

35 years ago when I wrote my programs by hand in PencilCam I used Control Comp

Once I started using Cad/Cam I changed to Wear.

• Like 2