Matthew Hajicek - Conventus

Compensation Poll - Take the poll

I think your compensating for something.  

436 members have voted

  1. 1. Which comp type do you use?

    • Wear comp only
      268
    • Control comp only
      46
    • Some of each
      92
    • Never use comp
      24
    • What's comp?
      6


Recommended Posts

Guest

Wear only

Matt went through the trouble of making the poll....

I am going to pin it for at least the next few weeks to, hopefully, gather as much of a response as can be had...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My response is tricky. I personally only use wear, but have customers who want machine so I answered the poll based off of my preferred method. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wear comp when I don't need Computer comp.

 

  • Like 1
  • Huh? 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wear comp and computer comp are identical toolpaths ... the only difference is you get a G41 /G42 and a diameter offset posted

when you select Wear Comp

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some one stated it perfectly in the other tread. When I wrote code by hand it was basically "control" so you could just type in actual numbers for milling. X0 was X0 not X.25 or whatever. Since going to  Mastercam for programming its always been wear for me. I can do the math if I need to figure out something but why in this day and age would you be reading lines of code. I just let the program do all the work. Although it is eye opening how much work it use to be when I do something quick in MDI. I think back to how much code I use to type in by hand and I wonder how I ever stuck with it at all. It was a lot of work.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, C^Millman said:

My response is tricky. I personally only use wear, but have customers who want machine so I answered the poll based off of my preferred method. 

 

Same here. I have worked on some projects that I was required to use control. I didn't like it but that's what the customer wanted. My preferred method is and always has been wear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Control.

Everybody uses it in this shop. I have absolutely no problem with wear and understand its benefits. However, I am amazed at how many operators are unaware of it. There are likely two reasons: the local school where entry-level machinists are made obviously doesn't teach it (evinced by the lack of knowledge by some trainees), and a very popular domestic CAM software (used by schools) doesn't support it. As we do all the grinding on our CNC mill, and the grinding stone is perfectly round, the benefit of using full radius compensation is very clear  - just measure the diameter of the stone with a micrometer and put Diameter/2 (Okuma control allows simple expressions) in the tool radius field. With wear you'd need to do extra calculations and we can't risk any error.

I haven't seen any other use for control compensation other than profile finishing. Is there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Control too.

But because it's better.

:hrhr:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2017 at 3:13 PM, gcode said:

Wear comp and computer comp are identical toolpaths ... the only difference is you get a G41 /G42 and a diameter offset posted

when you select Wear Comp

Yep. I don't use wear for stuff like chamfers. I just keep that at Computer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wear.

I use off once and a while too for roughing a notch or as a facing cut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jeff said:

Yep. I don't use wear for stuff like chamfers. I just keep that at Computer.

Jeff - how do you adjust?

Z (wear offset - ie drop the tool?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newbeeee said:

Jeff - how do you adjust?

Z (wear offset - ie drop the tool?)

We don't really need to.

Our chamfers don't need to be held to a tight tolerance. 

If one of our tools was resharpened and leaving a smaller chamfer than programmed, I'll usually tell my guys to lower the tool for that run.

Most of our chamfers are between .02" and .06" x 45deg.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

For those that do control comp, does it work ok for internal threadmilling?

Yes, but you need to apply the comp out of the hole and then turn it off outside of the hole if in a tight area. If you got enough room to turn it on and off and still move the radius value in the hole then you don't have to do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Yes, but you need to apply the comp out of the hole and then turn it off outside of the hole if in a tight area. If you got enough room to turn it on and off and still move the radius value in the hole then you don't have to do it.

 

Right here is exactly why I use wear. You run into this on any tight area. With wear I can use as little as a .002" lead to activate my comp. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BenK said:

 

Right here is exactly why I use wear. You run into this on any tight area. With wear I can use as little as a .002" lead to activate my comp. 

You can do that with control also ...no problem...so?...anyway I dont think u wanna do a threadmilling just with 0.002 room to lead in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I clicked on control cause that what my company has used every since I can remember, try talking them into wear when we switched to MC

but I was out voted and over ruled...

so I use control but wear is what I prefer !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grievous said:

You can do that with control also ...no problem...so?...anyway I dont think u wanna do a threadmilling just with 0.002 room to lead in?

So you can apply comp in the control for say a .5" endmill with only moving the machine .002"? 

 

I never said I was using that small of a lead on a thread mill.

 

I get it, you have an opinion on the subject. Be my guest and do it your way. Me I will use the method that works the best and gives me the control I need. I have yet to find a need to use control comp in all the years I have been doing this, until I do I will stick with wear regardless of what software I happen to be using.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BenK said:

So you can apply comp in the control for say a .5" endmill with only moving the machine .002"? 

 

I never said I was using that small of a lead on a thread mill.

 

I get it, you have an opinion on the subject. Be my guest and do it your way. Me I will use the method that works the best and gives me the control I need. I have yet to find a need to use control comp in all the years I have been doing this, until I do I will stick with wear regardless of what software I happen to be using.

Well...nobody was telling you how program your machines. You just quoted a statement about a threadmilling, and you implied that you can lead in in 0.002 and that's why you are using wear: " Right here is exactly why I use wear. ...etc etc"  .and implying u cannot do it same thing with control. You can..btw..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grievous said:

Well...nobody was telling you how program your machines. You just quoted a statement about a threadmilling, and you implied that you can lead in in 0.002 and that's why you are using wear: " Right here is exactly why I use wear. ...etc etc"  .and implying u cannot do it same thing with control. You can..btw..

I'll second grievous on this, but at the same time, I will throw in there that you have to have your comp application parameters set in a way that will allow this, and be predictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I quoted someone who quoted someone about thread milling. My comment was in regards to applying comp in tight areas not thread milling. Not sure why my statement or my decision to use wear has bothered you so much but honestly I will continue to do it my way until someone can give me a reason I should change. You have yet to state your case for control comp. Try doing that instead of telling everyone else they are wrong just because you said so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wear.

I did work at a shop years ago that did something that seems odd now, they would program finish cuts with wear, but roughing cuts with computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I'd like to know who the 3 people are that claim they never use comp.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JParis said:

I'd like to know who the 3 people are that claim they never use comp.....

Ok, guess I misunderstood the poll at first, I took never use comp as being the Computer comp. If that is wrong I am sorry that i am one of those 3! lol

Had it been a choice for Control comp i would have chosen that, i run most from diameter of tool and use walls and floors as adjustment if needed. I could not go back and change the answers so there is my explanation for my choice, so now you have 2 to go....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Join us!

eMastercam - your online source for all things Mastercam.

Together, we are the strongest Mastercam community on the web with over 56,000 members, and our online store offers a wide selection of training materials for all applications and skill levels.

Follow us