Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Udimet 720?

X-L Engineering Corp

I have never machined it in my life, but I would start off with recommend SFM by the Tool Manufacture then work up from there. Push it till you see what the real conditions allow then go from there.

Any Nickel Based Alloy is tough, but machinable with the correct tools along with a rigid setup and the correct speeds and feeds.

Then that tells me you need to slow everything down and start creeping up on it. I never had experience on a lot of thing before I did it. Machining is machining and you figure out the story the process is telling you. Something doesn't work you try something different. You check everything and you get an idea what you are cutting and then solve the problem step by step seeing what works.

What is the RC of the material? Has it already work hardened? Have you tried different tools and coatings? What is your SFM? What is your feed per rev? Does it have a recast layer you need to get under? Do you need to use a higher percentage of coolant in your cutting conditions? Are you taking it to easy on your cuts? Do you need to us a PCD tool? Does it need to be ground? I start looking for the problem and look for a solution to my problem and then I work from there.

Thanks looks like the condition is going to be key and the edge prep because it drilled like butter so that tells me sharp edge and small radius. My guys at our other shop are playing around with this because i'm a little busy but it does take experience with cutting conditions tool pressure the right insert angle a lot of factors go into being successful with this one but I know it can be done.

Thanks for all the help guys

Mayday thanks for the advise.