Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5X rapid positioning

We have a Postability Haas UMC750 post. This is the 1st time we've run a Module Works parallel path in a particularly complex manner. Mastercam shows no worries, but at the machine it is crashes (or would if we weren't tightly observing). The problem is that on my rapid retracts & positioning for the next cut, we are getting X Y Z B C rapid on the same line. What we need is X Y Z on one line, then B C.

I'm going to send it to Dave through or reseller, but we have a HOT part that is on the machine & we have to run it right now. I'm going to have to hand edit hundreds or maybe thousands of lines of code. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick post edit to break the rapid moves up on 5X paths only?

I could talk about the wisdom of putting a "Hot" job on a machine with a yet unproven post but I'll digress on that...

I'd be looking for a switch in the post to see if there is one to handle it.....I find it difficult to believe that would be set up that by default unless there's a switch built in...

Maybe even the Control def if Dave has it hooked up

Edited by Guest

No switches that I could find & nothing that looked like it would effect the output in the CD.

I'm preparing a file to send to our retailer right now.

It actually needs to be BC then XYZ.

This code editing is going to take a few hours, I did a partial to ensure that I am on the right track, and it ran fine.

I'm hoping that Dave can fix the post faster than I can edit the code.

25 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

papproach3 should control this

Ron, I don't see where it outputs the rotaries for it here. I would think that the last section in the postblock,   if (toolchng0 | unwind) & tcp, would be where it would affect this toolpath, but I could be completely off base.

papproach3      #Approach for cuttype 3, Simultaneous 4/5 axis (Multi-axis)
      if toolchng & not(tcp),
        [
        pbld, pn, sgcode, [if gcode$ = 1, sgfeed], sgabsinc, pfxout, pfyout,
          [if gcode$ = 1, *feed], pcan3, strcantext, pe
        pbld, pn, ptlen, pfzout, next_tool$, pe
        pbld, pn, scoolant, pe
        if machsimflg,
          [
          pmachsim_calc
          xmachsim = xmachsim_calc
          ymachsim = ymachsim_calc
          precompx = precompx_calc
          precompy = precompy_calc
          tilt_machsim = aabs
          rot_machsim = cabs
          pmachsim_out

zmachsim = zmachsim_calc
          precompz = precompz_calc
          pmachsim_out
          ]
        ]
      if (toolchng0 | unwind) & not(tcp),
        [
        pbld, pn, sgcode, [if gcode$ = 1, sgfeed], sgabsinc, pfxout, pfyout, pspindleout,
          [if gcode$ = 1, *feed], pcan3, strcantext, pe
        pbld, pn, ptlen, pfzout, pe
        pbld, pn, scoolant, pe
        if machsimflg,
          [
          pmachsim_calc
          xmachsim = xmachsim_calc
          ymachsim = ymachsim_calc
          precompx = precompx_calc
          precompy = precompy_calc
          tilt_machsim = aabs
          rot_machsim = cabs
          pmachsim_out

zmachsim = zmachsim_calc
          precompz = precompz_calc
          pmachsim_out
          ]
        ]
      if toolchng & tcp,
        [
        pbld, pn, sgcode, [if gcode$ = 1, sgfeed], sgabsinc, ptlen, pfxout, pfyout, pfzout,
          [if gcode$ = 1, *feed], pcan3, strcantext, next_tool$, pe
        pbld, pn, scoolant, pe
        if machsimflg,
          [
          pmachsim_calc
          xmachsim = vequ(xmachsim_calc)
          precompx = vequ(precompx_calc)
          tilt_machsim = aabs
          rot_machsim = cabs
          pmachsim_out
          ]
        ]
      if (toolchng0 | unwind) & tcp,
        [
        pbld, pn, sgcode, [if gcode$ = 1, sgfeed], sgabsinc, ptlen, pfxout, pfyout,
          pfzout, pspindleout, [if gcode$ = 1, *feed], pcan3, strcantext, pe
        pbld, pn, scoolant, pe
        if machsimflg,
          [
          pmachsim_calc
          xmachsim = vequ(xmachsim_calc)
          precompx = vequ(precompx_calc)
          tilt_machsim = aabs
          rot_machsim = cabs
          pmachsim_out
          ]
        ]

Maybe you can change the approach instead of working on the post for now.

Zeke, are you doing zig-zag or one way?  If zig-zag, use lead in/out with direct or blend spline, or just follow surface and change your gap settings to force keeping the tool down, no rapid.

If you need to cut one way, you could try to use a lead out then back in and connect them with a direct linear move or a blend spline.

Otherwise, use the complete border (all the way around) instead of a side or single surface to drive parallel so you can work your way from the inside to outside or vise versa in a constant cusp type tool path approach.

I had to create one little 5X curve path to remove some excess that my shaft was hitting and now it's working great. :thumbup:

Of course Postability got our post fixed right about the same time. :animier:

Thanks again husker, I hadn't realized that "Gaps along Cut" "Links Between Passes" & "Links between Slices" opened up more pages of options. That was an awesome suggestion. :respect:

3 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Thanks again husker, I hadn't realized that "Gaps along Cut" "Links Between Passes" & "Links between Slices" opened up more pages of options. That was an awesome suggestion. :respect:

Glad you got things figured out.  I can't stress enough, and I am sure nor can the millman, how powerful and capable the MW paths can be.  It pays off in spades to play with all of those settings to build understanding for that one time that you need it.  They have a lot of tricks in the bag that you can pull out when needed.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Glad you got things figured out.  I can't stress enough, and I am sure nor can the millman, how powerful and capable the MW paths can be.  It pays off in spades to play with all of those settings to build understanding for that one time that you need it.  They have a lot of tricks in the bag that you can pull out when needed.  

Been slammed to come back to this thread, but yes they will do some good things. It takes some time to wrap your brains around them, but once you do you will amazed what you can get done.

• Like 1