Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modifying Post

Hi, i have a custom machine that i recently build to machine aluminum and steel.

As it uses MACH3, i've found a post processor on the OEM website and it's doing fine,

The only problem is that it generates a code "G28" at the end of the program that returns

the spindle to the reference location or my 0's machine coordinates.

I really don't want that, it's a waste of time, because i need to measure my part, so i would

want for it to instead of going to my 0's machine, it went next to my door so i could most easily

reach the part with a caliper.

The lines of code generated are these that i attached.

So i ask, it's possible to modify that lines are generated on the end of the program,

before the M30 command?

G28 end of lines.png

As you have a custom machine it would be useful for you to learn some post editing:

Download a new MPMASTER post form the tab at top of page. When you open it you will see it arranged in tabs which will give you an overview of the structure. Open each tab and the underlying code will appear.

Obtain the MP documentation from your reseller. You will find  overviews, worked examples,  definitions etc. and you can put it on a thumb drive and take it home......

Do the debugger tutorial, trying to edit the post to any degree without the debugger is like setting up a machine without the distance to go screen visible.

Do searches on the forum, you will find many worked examples here. I will quite often print out examples to take home to read through at leisure.

When you post a question try and show that you have done at least some homework.

Always make a copy of your post to try out your edits so your original is protected.

I have found the members of this forum to be extremely generous with their knowledge and experience if you show you are not just here for a free ride. Don't forget if you went to a third party they would be charging you $$. And more than a few people here make at least some of their income writing and modifying posts.

Yes i would definitely benefit from learning post editing, that's the main reason i came to this forum,

i was risking someone helping me with an example, because there are many other stuff i want to change

in this post that i got from the MACH3 website.

But i'll follow your lead. By the way i understood the guy up there, the pst file is editable ?

Is there a program or users do it by hand?

Open your .pst file in Code Expert (Mastercam's default editor, unless you have Cimco. Either will work) which has "autofill" functions for editing the post.

This is good one to start with as the peof referred to above is a fairly straight forward post block. Get the MP documentation from your reseller. An hour or two of reading should get you to a point where you can have a stab at it.

Also use the forum search, you might get lucky and find something very close.....

Good luck! Like anything else it will be slow at first, but you will get quicker with time

I find post editing to be very gratifying as it gives me more control of my process, and we are striving for "post and go" at our shop.

• Like 1