Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Backup Air compresser stratagy

So I work at a small 10 person shop that has 8 various cnc machines. We had our screw compressor throw a belt the other day and our backup piston unit could barely keep up. We got to talking about the bind we would be in if we had a major problem that would put us down for a few days. Has anyone ever used a rented  portable gas compressor when in a bind. If it is doable that could be our way of avoiding a disaster.

rental full-electric units would be available and prolly the conventional thinking.

sounds like you have it covered with a backup, anyhow.

a business partner has two identical units setup. One alone covers his need 90% of the time, so he'll toggle between them for day to day. Guessing It's actually a smart energy usage plan; running a smaller unit at 70% duty cycle then a larger unit 45% DC.

I had 2x copco screw compressors. A GA8 and GA5 for backup. The 5 would be run once a month so ensure all was okay.

Had 11 cncs and a few $k worth of compressor is small fry compared to everything stopped. Also I had the plc'c changed and solenoid added to all machines so the air bleed around the spindle nose (the postitve "air curtain" ) was only on when the spindle ran. So when the machines stopped, or where being set or waiting first offs, they didn't sit there going hisssssss wasting air.

We had several issues with our screw a while back. Our backup compressor is a piston and is piped from another building around 100yds. away. Usually, the backup is only used when doing PM on the screw, but with our breakdown, we were on the piston for a couple of months. I didn't think about the backup compressor not being plumbed through the air dryer, and we are still paying for that mistake. Air bearings on CMM suffered, had to rebuild the drawbar cylinder on a horizontal, lift cylinder on the saw, ect...