Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MariTool Holders

On 11/18/2017 at 2:20 PM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

The tolerance requirements for dual contact are pretty tight, since it relies on a slight deformation of the spindle taper and holder.  If they specify only certain brands and anything else voids the warranty it's because they don't trust other makers to hold the requisite tolerances.  An out of tolerance holder could cause excessive deformation and damage the spindle.

I have discovered that not all dual contact are the same. What you are describing with "excessive deformation" I doubt could happen. Is very common to run both "regular" holders and big plus in the same spindle. What is more dangerous (& I have seen with with a certain well known popular brand ) is a big-plus holder that makes contact with the spindle face before it makes contact with the taper. The holder rattles around & fvcks up the spindle taper.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

I have discovered that not all dual contact are the same. What you are describing with "excessive deformation" I doubt could happen. Is very common to run both "regular" holders and big plus in the same spindle. What is more dangerous (& I have seen with with a certain well known popular brand ) is a big-plus holder that makes contact with the spindle face before it makes contact with the taper. The holder rattles around & fvcks up the spindle taper.

Yes could you PM the name as well?

In my experience, all tool holders manufacturers send out some bad tools. The reason most people don't realize this is because they don't inspect their holders. I've sent back dozens of holders from Techniks, Nikken/Lyndex, Hpi etc.

I bought some MariTool holders about 8 yrs ago, they had about .001" runout on a short Bt40 Er32 holder, I bought two holders because they were cheap and I wanted to see if they were any good. I just threw them out. It does seem like they have gotten a lot better since then.

48 minutes ago, Sticky said:

In my experience, all tool holders manufacturers send out some bad tools.

This isn't just limited to tool holders.... having been in a few shops, I have found you can always find something that isn't being held to the drawing...  When you ask about it, they say it doesn't matter, and this is the way its always been.  It doesn't matter may be true in 99% of situations, but I've found it almost always comes back to bite you eventually, unless it truely doesn't matter.  While in the heavy fabrication world, design engineering was expecting that you had 80% conformance on a critical to function dimension:blink:.  Forget capability...  Their argument was that it would add too much cost to hold or even change the spec.  The reality was it wouldn't in 99% of cases, as it just required someone to care enough to collect and look at a little data that likely already existed, make a simple shift and voila, conforming parts.

Anyway, my point is, even if you do a statistical capability study, and have world class quality procedures in place, statistically anyone is going to put non-conforming crap out the door sooner than later.  The only way to minimize it is to do the previously mentioned things, and place pride and trust into your employees such that the procedures used are effective at catching non-conforming material from leaving the facility.  Automation is good at minimizing these risks, but still can't eliminate the risk entirely.

• Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, #Rekd™ said:

The fine print says Big Kaiser or KennaMetal.... 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:07 AM, jeff said:

My thinking is that Kennametal gave some $ to Mori to advertise only Kennametal holders.

Here's the response form the PacNW Kennemetal Sales Manager:

So as far as I know, the whole BigPlus vs everyone else is pretty much sorted out. At Kennametal, we call it CV/KV, and yes, we sell it to Mori users and Dealers too. It is and was just a matter of everyone determining the standard dimensions and tolerances, (yes, they are tight!) and then signing up to participate in the licensing of the specification. So if you are producing CV/KV, it is Big-Plus, and it conforms to their spec. And yes, we had to pay for that right to license their spec.

I think Jeff gets the "call" prize on this one.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, huskermcdoogle said:

I was saying Mori would need to come in and prove that you were using "off brand" holders.

I would tend to agree on this, having said that the Mori guys came out to look a a spindle that had been bumped in our shop and were able to measure taper and runout to 1 micron resolution (they had the original specs on their database for comparison).

They probably wouldn't bat an eye on the first spindle replace but if you came back for a second and they found the same condition (belled or O/S or some other spec deviation) they might bring the hammer down......

• Like 1