Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCAM2018 Performance Issues

JeremyV

So... sup all,

PC Specs:
Win 7 enterprise
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.6GHz
16.0GB System Ram
Nvidia Quadro K620 4.0GHz ram
1.0TB HDD

So, Macam2018 has been crashing near the end of the day as a result from slowing down excessively.  At one point, a simple reboot of the PC fixes the performance issue, but everything slows down within 2 hours of use.  This includes trying to send things to the printer, loading tools / tool libraries, loading parts and pressing various buttons in the tool paths as well as backplot.

I have a lot of things on the network, but that shouldn't affect performance due to a simple reboot... I'm just stumped as to where the root issue is on this.

Prior to this post, I ran defrag, not sure if it will help or not.   2017 loads faster than 2018

I'm not the only programmer i'm having issues with mastercam's performance.  The other programmer has the exact same setup as i do, hardware wise.

So.... any ideas?   Would my reseller be of any help?

-JD

Currently have a spinning HDD.

I knew 16GB ram wasn't going to be enough...  I would have liked to go overboard on RAM....

I brought up performance issues with the boss about this.... There currently is no budget for CNC for upgraded PC's, we would have to wait a year from now..... Sept 2018 is when he sends the CNC budget or whatever.

At this point, I'm almost positive 128GB will be the new normal for the next vers of mastercam.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:17 PM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

You mentioned defrag.  Do you have a spinning hard drive, or an SSD?  SSDs should never be defragged, they don't need it and it just uses up write cycles.  That said, if you do have a mechanical hard drive, upgrading to an SSD should help your speed significantly.

Fully aware of this as I have a SSD at home.   I've considered upgrading to a M.2 drive.  Been told it's quite fast...

I can understand why people still use HDD's, but the performance of SSD's alone are enough to open my wallet for their awesomeness.

Do what I did years ago. I bought my own computer and used it at one shop. For every hour faster I was able to do my work I charged the owner for an hour of my time. After 200 hours in about 2 month he paid for the new computer.

Best of luck, but the .1% factor of your PC in the CNC department not getting the attention it needs doesn't scream a lot of confidence about his overall vision of your shop.

1 minute ago, C^Millman said:

Do what I did years ago. I bought my own computer and used it at one shop. For every hour faster I was able to do my work I charged the owner for an hour of my time. After 200 hours in about 2 month he paid for the new computer.

Best of luck, but the .1% factor of your PC in the CNC department not getting the attention it needs doesn't scream a lot of confidence about his overall vision of your shop.

Tell me about it - I would have just done what I needed to do if i was the one running the shop... trying to get them to spend money on something they think doesn't need to be done drives me nuts.  It's a losing battle here and there at times.   But I think we are going to get some sort of upgrade, more RAM hopefully.